General Strategy Questions

Guest AugustWest

Guest AugustWest

In reading the following, please understand that I have made some mistakes—I only just found this website and have learned a lot. However, the facts are as follows:

The debt (from a disputed Sprint cell phone bill) is $1k and within SOL, which is 3 years here in MD.

2003: I sent a billing dispute letter to Sprint, which was ignored, and the account was charged off.

2003: JDB/CA #1 sends several dunning letters

I sent untimely DV (not mailed CMRRR)

2004: JDB #2 sends several dunning letters

I sent untimely DV (not mailed CMRRR)

November 2005:

JDB #3 sends dunning letter/initial communication saying that they have “recently purchased the account…this account may be reported to CRs if not disputed within 30 days or paid satisfactorily…” The account is already being reported on the 3 CRs as a factoring account, an installment account, open, etc.

My questions:

Do I send the standard DV, and wait for them to continue to violate, or do I mention that reporting this as a factoring account is incorrect and must be corrected immediately?

Since I did not respond timely to other, earlier CAs and JDBs, have I forever lost my ability to timely respond, and invoke FDCPA protections?

Do I just send them an ITS for reporting this as a factoring account and the continued collection activity, based on my earlier DVs to earlier CAs/JDBs (and send them copies)?

Do I just file a suit now?

Do I dispute with the CRAs?

Do I make complaints to the FTC? This group has recently had significant problems with the FTC for related matters.

Nevermind about the earlier CAs. That's standard practice for an OC to try several CAs before finally selling the account. Assume the account is now with a JDB...who's still just another CA...so DV them. Make sure you send it CMRRR this time Make no mention of the earlier CAs...and don't worry about them calling it a factoring account at this point. Make them first prove they have the right person and the right account.