A quick question about paying chargoffs

ggarso

This board is awesome it is nice to know you can do something about your credit and not be at their mercy. I want to pay a few of mine that are too small to DV. Some are the OC but some have been sent to CA. Do I get in touch with the OC or are the CA the only choice? I guess I have no recourse if they wont settle and remove or either for that matter right.

Thanks, Gary

I am not sure what you are asking, nor do I know what you mean by too small to DV. By too small to DV, do you mean that you don't think the amount is big enough to bother, and you just feel it is easier to settle?

Settlement is IMO, a last resort. You have to remember this is like a high satkes version of poker. Before you place your bet or show your hand, you want to have a good idea of what cards they are holding.

There are a number of disadvantages to offering settlement right out of the gate. It weakens your position, and the CA may smell blood as a result. You may reset the SOL in some states, simply by offering to pay.

Settlements can be tricky, and I only offer it as a last resort, IF the CA has validated and I have no other choice, or I am offering to drop a suit for deletion AND them giving ME money.

That being said, it is done by contacting the OC or CA and offering PFD. If they don't take it, you have no recourse. If you have not given yourself the leverage of violations to hold over their head, you are going to have an uphill fight on your hands.

Many of us on this board (myself included) mistakenly believed that thye could settle their way to credit repair. All I got for my trouble was a paid collection that is still on my credit to this day and will be for 2 more years.

They are around a 100 dollars so ya I was thinking that way. I am in Texas is there anything I need to worry about the 30 day window? If not what you said makes since, I have nothing else to lose so might as well DV them and see what i get. I was looking at all this stuff and my report and getting a little overwhelmed, but I agree I need something to as you said to hold over their heads.

Thanks

That does nto prevent them for selling the balance, if there is one, to another CA. It also does not prevent the OC from reporting. The written guarantee from the CA is not binding on the other parties. Just one example of how you can be tripped up by a CA.

You need to remember one thing:

CA's lie.

• 2 months later...
how do you get paid negatives off your credit report? I have tried and haven't been able to. I am new to all this and am having a heck of a time. Any help is appreciated!

There is no way to simply remove a paid collection from your files. If there is, I'm sure PapiShasho would have no problem explaining how.