Target Guest Card Increase?

But ya know, this time around, getting a better card or a higher limit

seems much more rewarding than the first time. Maybe it's because

when you're knew to credit, it's just thrown at you. If first time credit

was more like how is for people who have to rebuild (kinda like rewards

for good behavior), then I doubt as many people would get into

predicaments in the first place. I'm not saying all, but it would certainly

benefit some.

I agree Peacock! Part of what made my credit go down the toilet was the fact that they just gave a college student $15000 in cards. My limit with MBNA went from $500 -> $10000 in one year, and my AmEx went from $500 to $5000. All before I was 20 and had a job. I take 100% responsibility, but if it weren't so easy the first time, I wouldn't have to rebuild. I was so excited yesterday when I saw my Providian card raised my limit from 2000 to 2500. Yippee....

I agree Peacock! Part of what made my credit go down the toilet was the fact that they just gave a college student $15000 in cards. My limit with MBNA went from $500 -> $10000 in one year, and my AmEx went from $500 to $5000. All before I was 20 and had a job. I take 100% responsibility, but if it weren't so easy the first time, I wouldn't have to rebuild. I was so excited yesterday when I saw my Providian card raised my limit from 2000 to 2500. Yippee....

Sounds very familiar, and I say the same for myself: I take 100% responsibility, up to the point where I lost my job in 2000. But a kid making less than 20K a year has no business w/ $27,500 worth of credit cards. Oh well, live and learn. My kids will not have a credit card and live in my house. Nor will they go to college on my bill and have a credit card. Unless it's something like a 2nd card on my account in their name w/ like a $300 limit that they can't screw up on.

I got the $200 Target Guest Card when I started this journey last November/December. I was never offered an increase, and didn't request one, until this October/November when they notified me that they were replacing it with a $1k Visa card. It's my first unsecured major card in a long time. (I also got a secured Orchard Bank MasterCard around the same time as the TGC.)

The best part of the change is that I now have two TL's - the Guest Card showing as Charge Account/Closed/Paid and the Visa showing as Credit Card/Open/Current - and the Target Visa shows date opened as November 2004. All without a hard inquiry (they pulled a soft inquiry from Experian in September).

Regards,

James from the Bronx

Sorry Cavazos, but it turns out he is a heroin addict and was involved in killing a cop. He's still in the hospital after being wounded when the cop shot back.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

I've always been a bit confused about this automatic switch from Target Guest to Target Visa. What if you plain old don't want another TL? It just seems a bit wrong to open a TL w/o the customer's consent. I can see offering the card, but not opening it automatically.