Oh well, I can't even get the Target card. I even called to ask for reconsideration and was still denied.

Same here, Macy's made me wait two weeks before telling me NO.

I have had a Macy's store card since 87. I've been through 2 BKs with them! (And they never dropped me!)The only problem I have ever had is last year we went on a spending spree and got the balance up over the $1K limit. They never declined at the register for being over limit, but one day I was checking my available credit and it said $0. So I sent in a payment of $250 to get back on track. After it posted I called and checked my available credit. Still $0.

I had to pay it down completely before the credit became available again. And it was only $500 now - not $1000. Since then I have been a good boy and they bumped it back up to $1K and they said they have recommended me for the Macy's Visa next billing cycle.

The good thing was they never reported negatives for being over the limit. I wouldn't recommend you try to push your luck with that - but they were pretty laid back about it.

I have had a Macy's store card since 87. I've been through 2 BKs with them! (And they never dropped me!)The only problem I have ever had is last year we went on a spending spree and got the balance up over the $1K limit. They never declined at the register for being over limit, but one day I was checking my available credit and it said $0. So I sent in a payment of $250 to get back on track. After it posted I called and checked my available credit. Still $0.

I had to pay it down completely before the credit became available again. And it was only $500 now - not $1000. Since then I have been a good boy and they bumped it back up to $1K and they said they have recommended me for the Macy's Visa next billing cycle.

The good thing was they never reported negatives for being over the limit. I wouldn't recommend you try to push your luck with that - but they were pretty laid back about it.

Push my luck with what? The Visa? :?:

He's talking about having his entire credit line revoked by Macy's till he paid it off. (not the Visa - he hasn't gotten that yet.) Macy's is kind of old-fashioned - they make the rules as they go along, and keep your credit limit mysterious, on purpose, I think, and they increase it as they see fit depending on what you want to buy (I think - as you can tell, Macy's is a big mystery to me. Maybe they've changed lately but this is what I know of the old-fashioned department store cards.)

I just thought I would share my Macys experience.

Last night (it's 12:45am on EST), I was reading this board and clicked on a link that was in someone's sig about scores that would get you a particular card. [http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?autocom=creditpulls ](You will have to register to use the database).

In any event I know my FICO on EQ is about 595. I tried Walmart, Hooters, and Target and got either denied or we will send you something in the mail (dispute INQs time...damn stamps). Then I read about Macys. Someone had about a 540 and got $100. Now a little back story. I had a Macys card back in 1995 and burned them (I was young and stupid). However, I had paid them off like in 2000 (think I owed them $500+ maybe even 600). I actually paid them in the store. I did not ask the girl to reopen the account (and I am thankful I did not at the time).

Fast forward to today because there is pertinent info for noobs and old folk alike. I went to Macys.com and applied for the their card. Filled out the application. Was going great until I got to the bottom. They were asking for a valid credit card and a debit card was not allowed :confused: . I thought to myself "Holy S--t, I'm screwed". But...me being the persistant guy I am, I put in my Sovereign Bank debit card anyway, as I have no valid credit card yet (I am supposed to get the Rewards 660 soon). IT WORKED! I got approved for $100!!!!!!!! I bought a pair of Perry Ellis pants for like $50 and will probably pay it off either Friday or two weeks from now. Then buy my sister a $50 dollar card for Christmas after that. But even though they say you can't use a debit card, YOU CAN! I did...I'm living proof. I don't think their software can tell the difference between a debit card and regular Visa (some sites CAN though, but Macys does not). Maybe there was a glitch...I don't know, but as of last night (11/27/2007) they cannot tell a difference.

If you are in the 550+ range, you can get a card. Mine is the $100, of course, but I will be buying clothes for work now. I live near a bunch of Macys (I'm from NJ...there's a mall every 10-20 miles with a Macys...lol). Macys is definitely easy to get, but somehow Walmart and Tar-jay are not........:confused:

UPDATE: Experian was hard pulled by Macys. I forgot that I can check my Experian report online until another couple of months. Macys/DSNB on November 27, 2007.

Aboveaverage I used my debit card when I applied for my Macy's. All they need is to identify you...I don't think it matters if it's a debit card.

Cav, just wanted let others know since on the page it said do not use a debit card. I know from reading this thread that your CL went up after some time. Would it be better to buy one thing and PIF during that billing? Or buy one thing and just make slightly above minimum payments? What would be better for my score and potential CLI? I guess from reading the thread it would just be PIF, but I wanna be sure. I'm still in shock that I can get a Macys card, but not Walmart (who did in fact deny me...lol). Ehhh, just as well. Alot easier for me to get to Macys than it is for Walton's Employee Hell.

AA

Cav, just wanted let others know since on the page it said do not use a debit card. I know from reading this thread that your CL went up after some time. Would it be better to buy one thing and PIF during that billing? Or buy one thing and just make slightly above minimum payments? What would be better for my score and potential CLI? I guess from reading the thread it would just be PIF, but I wanna be sure. I'm still in shock that I can get a Macys card, but not Walmart (who did in fact deny me...lol). Ehhh, just as well. Alot easier for me to get to Macys than it is for Walton's Employee Hell.

AA

Yea AA...I get yah...but yes it does say you can't use a debit card...but if you don't have a credit card...you have no other choice. Since your limit is so small I would PIF every month...That will help you alot. And that will help them determine how much of a CLI you deserve...

Yea AA...I get yah...but yes it does say you can't use a debit card...but if you don't have a credit card...you have no other choice. Since your limit is so small I would PIF every month...That will help you alot. And that will help them determine how much of a CLI you deserve...

What a difference two years makes for you, huh? :lol: I'm in this for the long haul anyway...I figure I can increase my wardrobe while increasing my credit can't hurt. I wish I could have had the 200 though. Saw this really nice peacoat that was on sale. Thank you Cav.

What a difference two years makes for you, huh? :lol: I'm in this for the long haul anyway...I figure I can increase my wardrobe while increasing my credit can't hurt. I wish I could have had the 200 though. Saw this really nice peacoat that was on sale. Thank you Cav.

:lol:...It took me 3 years to get to $700. And I still can't get the coach purse I want.

OMG, you guys Im soooooo happy! I cant get ANYTHING, anywhere. I just got approved!!! Wow, what a good start to my day!!!!!! :) Anyone know how I fond out my limit?

PULLED EX!!! Just called the Automated # Approved for $100. Better than a NO!!! Im just soooo exited!! LOL

Well, I was approved for Macys this morning YAY!! But, I just went for Bloomingdales and got Im pretty sure a denial SHOOT...

Your request for an account has been received and requires further processing. We will contact you within 10 days. If you do not receive notification within this time, please call us at 888-922-7017or email us at bloomingdalesnewaccounts@fds.com. If you are currently making a purchase, please use another form of payment.

Thank you for shopping with us!

Well, I was approved for Macys this morning YAY!! But, I just went for Bloomingdales and got Im pretty sure a denial SHOOT...

Your request for an account has been received and requires further processing. We will contact you within 10 days. If you do not receive notification within this time, please call us at 888-922-7017or email us at bloomingdalesnewaccounts@fds.com. If you are currently making a purchase, please use another form of payment.

Thank you for shopping with us!

Don't remember for sure, but I think I too got a wait and see message. I think this was the case. Didn't think I would get the card, but it arrived the same day with the macy's. Maybe they do manual review. Good luck.

LOL!!!

I have both a Macy's Visa and Macy's store card. Went into Bloomie's this weekend to apply for their card to get the 15% discount and received the "under review" through the register. Came home and found that a FA had been slapped on my reports, which I'm in the process of having removed...Am going to call the bank and find out what the heck happened. :)

Decided to call Macys up...see about a "Guideline Increase [GLI]", got a whopping $100 more [bust out the champagne, guys :rolleyes: ]. I have to spend about $425 to get upgraded to Gold.

Ehhh, I need a new coat anyway, so I'll look into getting that next month. Winter is just about done, but at least I can retire the coat I have now.

Hi all its been a while since i last posted But i also wanted to see if i qualified for a CLI so i called today and was approved for a $700 increase :) now im up to $3200 Sweet! just wanted to say Thank You All.

Just curious, did they do this at the store or did you call them up on the phone? I think I'm gonna try the store next time.