Extry on CR due to Ex-Spouse....any recourse?

kingnothingkc

I am pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but thought I would post to see if I missed something. I had an negative entry alert from myfico last week. The entry was for an unpaid Cable/Phone/Internet bill from April of 2004.

Back in August of 2003 my wife and I separated, with me moving into an apartment at that time. She stayed in our house until October 2003 at which time she moved into her own place. She was supposed to transfer the service into her name, but evidently she did not. (no it was not in the separation agreement, nor divorce decree). In April of 2004 she moved to St. Louis and skipped out on the bill. I verified with the OC and CA that all correspondence was sent to her St. Louis address; so I never received any notification.

Now I am stuck with a bad entry (my only one now) on my CR and outstanding balance due to boot. Do I have any way of getting this off my report or do I just pay the balance and explain to future lenders/creditors over the next 7 years what happened?

I would 1) Dispute it. 2)Validate it. 3) offer a PFD (pay for delete). I had a negative mark on my report from Comcast and I disputed it and poof. I also read somewhere else on this board that comcast was offering some sort of amnesty thing, do a search and see if it applys to you

Unfortunately creditors don't give a sh1t when it comes to separations and divorces. Looking back (hindsight, 20/20. etc) you should have called Comcast and had it cut off. Let her pay to get it reconnected.

When Grim and his now ex- separated I told her she had a week to transfer phone service, and if she didn't I would call and have phone cut off, and she can pay the fee to get it reconnected. She got it transferred.