I have a question on student loans

BanditMan

I obtained 2 student loans in 92. I was having a hard time back then securing employment after finishing the program. Therefore, the loans went into default and then to collections. They took what tax returns I did get and eventually paid them off. So I now have 2 paid collection student loans on my credit. I have always heard that once you default on a student loan, you can never get another one. Is that true? I am now way more financially stable and am thinking about getting an Associates degree. Will it be worth trying to obtain financial aid?

This is an excellent question for LynnInMN... she's a former student loan collector.

If you defaulted, but paid it back (thru garnishments or tax seizures) then you might have a chance. If you defaulted and never paid it back then no you wouldn't get another loan.

You obtained 2 student loans, and "finished the program" ??? So it wasn't for any sort of degree it was a trade school?

Yes Grim, it was just a certificate program in Desktop Publishing & Computer Graphics Design.

Yes Lynn, I did get a paid in full letter a while back and both loans show paid on all 3 credit reports.

That is terrific news!! YAY! I was racking my brain, trying to figure out how I was going to pay $16,000 for a Associate of Science in Computer Information Management degree up front. And then pay $28,000 each for a Bachelor and Masters degree. It is hard to find a job in Desktop Publishing.

Lynn, I noticed you are an ex financial aid adviser. Can you tell me how does the financial aid work if I obtain a loan on first degree and then go directly back in to get the bachelors and masters? Will they loan me on the first degree and then add to it with the other two and then end up with a $72,000 loan at the end that I will start paying on?

No, they did not get outsourced (well some did). Computer Information Management consists of several different things such as networking administrator, systems administrator, management of operations, database management, web site design, programming (Java and visual basic) ect...

There is a HUGE demand for IT personnel in this country due to everything moving from paper to computers. And now that the internet is as big as it is, corporations are building massive private networks through the net. They need people that can build, maintain and secure those networks and computer systems.

I love computers so this is perfect for me.

No Grim, Graphics Design is totally different. With that, you learn how to layout text and graphics for newsletters, newspapers, mag articles etc. They teach you how to use the graphic programs used in making the graphics for those articles. Totally different. Just hard to find a job in that field around where I live. Besides, that was 13 years ago. I'm not gonna remember everything I learned then when I have not used that training since taking the course. I need to go for something more in demand and that I will also enjoy doing.

Oh I know about IT, I'm a BOFH (Bastard Operator from Hell) and the IT director for a small manufacturing company. Let me tell you how tight the IT job market got.

When I was in the job market in 1997, I was a Junior-Senior PC repair service tech and I submitted about 10 resume's, got 6 interviews and 2 offers. In 1998 I moved, basically walked in the door of a place and left with a job as a tech. In 1999 when I left that company I went to about 10 places, and got two interviews, and two job offers but one was a 1099 contractor and I turned it down. The other was a regular job. Fast forward to 2004, I sent out probably 200 resume's and got at most 10 interviews. And I got the job where I'm at now.

I have often dreamed of starting a remote administration business. I'm still working on how to set the business up and whether businesses will allow me to administer their systems remotely. I need to get my foot in the door first.

You're on the wrong side of the pond to do a remote admin business. If a business wants someone to remotely do things, they'll get someone from Calcutta to do it.

My DH is also an IT professional. He says nobody goes for a masters anymore. Some have BS's but most have technical training certificates and hands on experience. He has been in the field since 1990 and works for HP. He has a GED and a ton of certifications ....but no degree.

Actually the market for IT professionals has passed it's peak. So many professionals got laid off after 9/11 and the market finally turned around a couple of years ago. It is nothing like it was end of the 90's. My sister in CA is manager in Info Systems. Late 90's every month somebody was offering her big $$$ and to come work for them. She changed jobs yearly, each job paying her handsomely to jump ship. Not anymore...however she has her dream job now working out of her home managing offices all over the US. She graduated with a BS in Computer Info Systems in 91. I am soo jealous of her..gorgeous million dollar home in southern CA, her hubby is a director at Disneyland,

Well I basically have the general experience. I have 15 years of lifestyle exp with computers and networking. I have operated and am deeply familiar with every windows operating system from 98 to xp pro. I have a 4 computer network in my home and I have personally built all computers from scratch. I built, maintain and secured my network myself. I keep up with all the latest technology as it comes out. I keep up with the latest security threats as they come out. I just don't have the technical mathematical or in depth knowledge. I just know the basics mainly. Will employers acknowledge and give credit for this?