Can someone give a Friend Advice

Tsandy7

A friend of mine did a stupid thing, she gave a collection agency her checking account information and was making payments to Recovery Port folio. she said the only reason she did it was to stop them from calling her at work, she was afraid that they would make her lose her job. So she paid them. The amount on the old credit card is not even the correct amount.. I am trying to help her as much as I can. I had her to dispute, that held the off for a while, She was also calling them. I told her not to do this but it was too late. We did answer their summons. Portfolio sent a motion to the court to have them dismiss her counter claim.(my friends case is a big mess) she did not know that she had some rights.

They still have not provided anything pertaining the the debt that was puchased from Providian. They are also saying they are an assignee, Can you be an assignee and buyer at the same time?

My friend was also threatend, one of the worker told her they were going to sue her if she did pay the balance ($5,000), Janet is not refusning to pay the problem is she does not agree with the amount they want.

This is in Ohio. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what she should do. Janet said that she could not afford an attorney.

Also has anyone ever heard of Associated recovery systems or portfolio Recovery Associates,LLC?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tsandy7

Your friend is indeed in a big mess! A "Texas size mess" and the worst part is she doesn't even live in TX. The fact there was a summons implies she was already sued. She could stop writing checks and use the money to retain a lawyer for advice. The collection agency may be assignee of a bad debt buyer such as UNIFUND and that's why it would be prudent to speak with a lawyer ASAP! She has wages they are after. Generally it is not legal to discuss a debt matter with co-workers or any other third party, however, that will have to be proven in court if it did occur. It may be necessary to change the checking account number so as to prevent automatic drafts.

recovering attorney, yes she does have letters from both . and also phone recordings on her voice mail. and at work since the company records all phone calls, the calls from recovery can be pulled. I have helped my neice get out of a mess similiar to this. I am just passing information to my friend. I have already told her to close out the account. She did not have much in there anyway.

The letter from associated was an old one for the same item, this letter was dated 2003. ( sorry I forgot to add this one)

I don't know what else to tell her.

Tsandy 7

No, they were just harrassing her, calling at work 3 or 4 times a day. and at home. She finally got tire of them calling her at work and at home so she let them take money out of her account. just to stop the calls and harrasement . hich I told her was stupid.

Now she has stopped giving them money , they are suing.