So I got a letter from Judge Judy today

Rich3077

Heh.. I thought this was kind of funny so I thought I would share.

Today I got a letter from a Judge Judy producer offering to have

my case ( against a CA ) heard on the show. I would get an

apperance fee plus travel expenses for me and any needed

witnesses.

I am not gonna do it, and I already settled out of court with the

CA anyway. ( although its still not finalized ) I am also pretty

sure a CA is not going to go on TV to air all their violations

in public. (although that would be priceless )

So their we have it... Judge Judy really does get real cases from the

courthouse.

Peace

Rich

I will have to side with Grim on this. Some time back on Judge Judy, yes, I watch her on occasion, there was a case where some young man sued his EX for an unpaid cell phone bill. During the course of the hearing, he made comment as to the CA threatening, etc. Judge Judy flat out called him a liar. I about fell out of my chair. True, she was a Family Judge to begin, but, in my opinion, if she is going to go on national TV and hear cases from around the country, she should assure she is familiar with all laws, etc. that pertains to each case she hears, other than the standard state laws that apply mostly to procedures and limits.

Same thing goes for Suze Orman. I'm finding the more I read CIC the more I don't like Suze Orman.
I'm not a fan of Judge Judy (too abrasive) but I am a fan of Suze Orman. I've never heard her ever admonish anyone to "pay up, deadbeat." She does give good advice on how to dig your way out of debt, deal with CAs and yes, if necessary, file for BK. I think she genuinely cares about the people she counsels.

Grim: Do you refer to yourself in the third person in real life, too? :lol:

I've read Suze Orman's books and watched her cable program for several years now. I have noticed that when she is counseling someone who seems to be struggling with a moral dilemma involving debt she will sometimes tell them that it may be best to pay the debt so they can sleep at night. A debt being past SOL simply means that a judge/jury should throw the case out on that fact alone...but it doesn't always happen. Also, just because a debt is past SOL doesn't mean that zombie debt collectors won't continue to try to collect and when they fail, just sell it to another zombie debt collector. You might be able to turn the tables and sue, but the fact of the matter is that the majority of people don't want to and don't sue either out of fear or apathy. Some just want to settle and put an end to the madness and not always have to wonder what's going to show up in their mailbox or who's going to show up at their door. Of course, it would be hoped that they'd structure the settlement so that there could never be a bad mark on a credit report and the debt could never be sold again.

What set Grim off about Suze Orman is she told a caller once that "even though the debt is past SoL, she should do the moral thing and pay it"

I thought WTF?!?!? I tuned out and haven't watched since.

I hate to admit it but I also fall on the side of you should always pay all your debts.

But as I get older I have tempered this with reason. The final amounts owed in most Charge off cases are a throw back to the middle ages, (Shylock and Merchant of Venice anyone?)

I think Breathing Easier has it right, I think Suze Orman is also somewhat reasonable in her approach to some of these difficult issues. Suze isn't perfect, but then, who of us is perfect? If you have the money to pay -you should pay up (even if it is usuary, you made the mistakes, now put your money where your mouth is, or your charge card was...) BUT don't screw yourself in the process, you should pay for delete - don't put yourself in a bad situation for the next 7 years and possibly fall into a Interest-rate slavery trap that may put you right back into a mess.

Personally, I just want everyone to get educated and improve their situation in life. Sometimes that means starting over and not paying the full amounts owed.. But mange the situation to completion, don't let it happen again and by all means -

Live well and prosper from now on!

Funny how we little people always have this "moral" obligation when it comes to money - we're the only stop along money's path that has any resemblence to a conscience.

Suze is a shill. A financial advisor is supposed to tell you what's in the best interest of your MONEY, not your moral obligation to St. Peter.

If you watch her show enough, you'll see how little she actually knows about the FCRA and FDCPA... but she'll peddle her FICO kit relentlessly...

As for Judy? She was a Family Court judge in NY. Does she have judicial power in her studio in Hollywood?

I heard her threaten somebody with jail time :roll: I prolly would have responded to such a stupid statement with something the producers couldn't edit out. :?

Yikes! Judge Judy! She is mean. :evil: Don't blame you for not going on that show! She berates people.

Suze Orman sometimes goes into the psychological side of overspending. She once said that people that overspend are so many pounds overweight for so many dollars blown on excessive spending.

Funny how we little people always have this "moral" obligation when it comes to money - we're the only stop along money's path that has any resemblence to a conscience.

Suze is a shill. A financial advisor is supposed to tell you what's in the best interest of your MONEY, not your moral obligation to St. Peter.

If you watch her show enough, you'll see how little she actually knows about the FCRA and FDCPA... but she'll peddle her FICO kit relentlessly...

As for Judy? She was a Family Court judge in NY. Does she have judicial power in her studio in Hollywood?

I heard her threaten somebody with jail time :roll: I prolly would have responded to such a stupid statement with something the producers couldn't edit out. :?

I believe that Judge Judy may submit the tape of her show as evidence to the proper legal authorities in the person's home State, and it would be up to the State Attorney to prosecute based upon his/her testimony on her show. I have heard other TV Judges threaten to submit their tapes to law enforcement, where the plaintiff seeks money damages only for some criminal act(s) and had not sought criminal prosecution. A few of those TV cases require jail time; assault & battery, stolen identity, checks or credit cards, etc.