Collectors required to give information?

drburr

What information are debt collectors required to give when asked?

I just got off the phone with a collector who, when I requested his office address, began yelling at me and refused to give the address. He also informed me that if I did not pay this debt immediatly (has not been placed on my credit report yet), I would be sued. He then refused to transfer me to a supervisor when I asked him to do that and informed me that they only accept payments via Credit ard and telecheck (haha, no chance of that happening).

This seems to be my reward for attempting to be responsible and gain information regarding this debt.

The link to the FDPCA is above. When they cross the line, it's best just to politely end the conversation and file your formal complaints against them.

Check out some of the threads regarding recording phone calls too.

That's about the easiest way to handle these mental giants.

they are completely and successfully breaking the law against you

i would have an atty write a letter for you re: the violations they broke

look up fdcpa laws .... each state has specific laws

it's not too hard to read thru. u can't just sit back. i work at an agency in calif and the law is broken on a daily basis. hourly, miniuitely (if there is such a word)

i am working toward exposing agencies and letting consumers know their rights.

send them a cease and desist letter

deal with them in writing

they have to and will accept any payment you make to them

if it's been 5-6 years since your payment why not just let it ride till 7th year?

if you make a payment you start the statuate of limitations all over for yourself.

deal with the original creditor in writing if the agency is stupid.

tell them they are breaking fdcpa, and that you want .30 on dollar to sif....

or that you will take them to court for violations....and would they like to settle for one dollar? if everyone bands together and does this we would put alot of agencies out of biz.

Here's the specific violations:

1. They are not allowed to yell at you or be abusive.

2. They are not allowed to threaten to sue unless they are a lawyer and have been authorized to actually do so by the OC they represent.

3. They are not allowed to deny you a mailing address as it prevents you from executing your rights under the FDCPA to dispute (which must be done by mail).

4. They are not allowed to demand payment during the 30 day validation period.

Who is the CA? Someone here may have an address for them

Here's the specific violations:

1. They are not allowed to yell at you or be abusive.

2. They are not allowed to threaten to sue unless they are a lawyer and have been authorized to actually do so by the OC they represent.

3. They are not allowed to deny you a mailing address as it prevents you from executing your rights under the FDCPA to dispute (which must be done by mail).

4. They are not allowed to demand payment during the 30 day validation period.

Who is the CA? Someone here may have an address for them

I filed a complaint against them with the FTC and state of Illinois (I'm in IL, they are in IL)

The CA is Credit Management Services, comes form an 847 number in IL. According to my searches, I think they are in Buffalo Grove, but I'm not sure. They also go by CMS

drburr, Any conversation you have with a debt collector is going to be adversarial and will turn hostile unless you agree to their demands. Therefore, the best way to handle the situation is simply hang up the instant you detect a CA on the other end of the phone. In other words, conduct all business in writing and do not contact a collection agency unless you need their address in order to send them a check!

CREDIT MANAGEMENT SERVICES

IL License number: 17000571

License Status: ACTIVE

Date License granted: 01/01/1998

License expiration: 05/31/2006

No disciplinary history by IL Dept of Professional Regulation

Not having a disciplinary record just means they may be careful enough not to get caught. I seem to recall dealing with CMS once before. My recollection is that they were wussies. A properly crafted dispute letter and they went away.