Dunning Letter Questions

tadmartin223

I just received a dunning letter dated 12/6/05 from Debt Recovery Solutions. In this dunning letter they have the original creditor as Z-Tel Communications, but the body of the dunning letter states "Your account was acquired by DRS through a purchase of various delinquent receivables from Sprint..." Sprint and Z-Tel are two different companies, unless Sprint acquired Z-Tel Communications somewhere down the line.

Then, at the bottom of the letter reads "As required by law, you are hereby notified that a negative credit report reflecting on your credit record has been submitted to a credit reporting agency because you have failed to fulfill the terms of your credit obligations". This conflicts with the body of the letter which states "...Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt or any portion thereof, this iffice will assume this debt is valid" How can they place or threathen to place a negative remark on my CR if the 30 day window hasn't passed? Remind you, this is a dunning letter, the very first one.

I'm in the process of writing a DV letter, but want to know how to proceed with the conflicting info in the dunning letter.

Although, I would first order a 3n1 report, see if it shows up on your report at all. If not, when you do your DV, remind them that they must ccease collection activity until they validate, and reporting to a CRA is collection activity. As they now have reason to know the item is inacurate or wrong, they should not report you. Or if they dom they should remove it until they validate. Tell them you will enforce your rights if they ignore this.