Hello - just verifying some info

Lease Buster

In 2000 I left one State for another and broke a lease on an apartment in doing so. Ever since then the Corp that owns the apt complex has sent me letters, and began phoning my family.

This crossed a line in my mind and I stopped it once I sent the collection officer a "Goodle Earth" photo of her daughter's house and gave her name and contact info. I told her to stop involving my family or I would "involve" her daughter. :twisted:

My concern is this - the 6 year SOL is up this summer. Do I just hunker down, and toss the letters? It's my understanding that they can't go interstate for anything less than $2,000 principle. The fee they claim I owe is $1,500. Of which I have paid zero after leaving the state. Ideas? :shock:

You should be damned lucky you don't have the cops on your door for harassment or or "stalking".

Now back to your question, once the SoL is up, it's up. There's discussions on SoL tolling going on here, and there's a slim (very slim) a CA could use that threat you sent as a means to toll the SoL but considering they didn't file a police complaint and charges then that's stretching it quite a bit.

Lay low, see what happens.

Thanks for the info. They phoned my family and called one of them an a**hole and my reply (which came from a dummy one-time-only web mail account) didn't mention any names on my end. I just included the jpg from google earth and said you involve my family in my business I involve yours...the implication of course I would phone them and curse!

What is this tolling? I am new to this stuff!

Tolling - refer to answer in the other thread

Ok so you didn't identify yourself - could be once he got that kind of notice he quit being a CA and got a real job! CA's collect from all sorts of weirdos and frankly I wouldn't put it past some (and maybe a couple from this board!) to take up arms and physically harm a CA employee.

I know I've often wished a natural disaster would occur at 507 Prudential Road in Horsham, PA many times!! :D

In a sad way I actually feel for them, her in my case. The SOL is up this coming SUmmer and I am sure her boss is breathing down her neck to collect this money. I just don't see how they can do it. I'm not even in a bordering state! I'm thousands of miles away! I will ignore the letters and phone calls. Lucky for me they can't find my home phone number! I've always given them my PO Box number so I am "reachable" but just toss the letters as they come...

Hell - after 5 years if they could do anything other than send me letters - they would have done it by now. 8-)