Divorce and fallout

Hi,

I went thru a divorce in PA and a few things happened:

Wife quit job and went to Italy on a family vacation. Refused to seek other employment and was not home anyway,

She tried to come back and I told her no, she filed for Spousal support, we have no children, only married for 3 years. As a result of the courts forcing me to pay 25% of my income to her, plus my atty fees. I did not have the money to pay the cc bills. I kept up the mortgage and the 2 car payments, insurance, utilities and barely had money to eat.

My attorney figured out my ex owed me 26K in equitable distribution. We had a discovery hearing in which I had to supply every cc statement from the time we were married until the legal seperation date. I complied with my end. After waiting 2 months for my ex to pay for an appraiser to appraise my home, it never happened. She didnt believe the fair market analysis her attorney received from a realtor. I filed a petition to vacate the spousal support since she was not cooperating with the equitable distribution.

My ex's attorney had a conversation with my attorney after she received the new notice for another spousal support hearing. My attorney settled this case without my consent. The settlement was that I receive nothing and I have to pay her the arrears in spousal support. My attorney also prepared the paperwork which I would have never done and billed me for it. I found out about the settlement since I was CC'd on the letter and docs forwarded to my ex's attorney. After I received the CC I responded to my attorney stating this is unacceptable. She notified my ex's attorney and the response was " we had an offer on the table and it was accepted, then withdrawn after acceptance." Basically they were going to use this against me since it was solid, but I had nothing to do with this offer in the first place.

Yesterday I received 2 letters from Attorney's which are representing Arrow/ Providian and Cach,LLC/ Chase. I have the DV letters ready to go. I am also including a few extra items in the DV letter:

*If this debt has been purchased, provide a copy of the contract and disclose the amount which has been paid for this debt.

* If this debt has been assigned, provide a copy of the agreement between your company and the original creditor.

* Complete payment history, interest rate(s), interest charged and all fees which were assessed to this loan/account.

Do you think the additional information requests are out of bounds ?

It is extremely difficult to find an attorney who will sue another attorney for legal malpractice. I know I can go to the local bar association, but my attorney is a good standing member there.

I did not have an affair. Basically she quit her job to go with her family to Italy and she didn't have any vacation time left in 2003. I told her not to quit, rather ask for un-paid leave. She did not listen, she quit. I believe she was having an affair, no proof, but it is what I believe. What would you think if she doesn't come home for weeks at a time ?

After not working for 9 months, she took a job at a mall making 8.00 an hour and left her job making 15.00 an hour. It was my fault she only made 8.00 and hour and I had to pay spousal support because of it.

Ah yes, she's underemployed on purpose just to f**k you over. Problem is if she ever gets her head out of her a$$ and gets a real job you'd have to go back to court to get your spousal support cut.

Does the alimony [call it what it is...] end if/when she remarries or co-habitates?

It is extremely difficult to find an attorney who will sue another attorney for legal malpractice. I know I can go to the local bar association, but my attorney is a good standing member there.

You can still take this to grievance...

You sound like you have all the paperwork so you ought to at least pursue that first... You ought to into taking this grievance before you do anything else...

It is a small county bar association where I get the feeling everyone knows everyone else there.

She settled the case, prepared the documents and sent them to my ex's attorney without my consent.

I found out from being cc'd on the letter to my ex's attorney. My ex's attorney had her come in and sign the docs. Therefore there was an offer from my attorney without consulting me, my ex signed all of the docs and were using it against me since my attorney settled the case without my consent. Yes I was forced at that point to sign the docs since my attorney screwed the matter up in its entirety. Her attorney stated in a letter “I will bring to the Master’s attention that an offer was made and accepted and then was withdrawn after accepted. We will also attend the Equitable Distribution Hearing and show my client has cooperated to the fullest extent possible, even to the point of signing a Withdrawal of Equitable Distribution and Alimony claims, a Waiver of Notice and a Consent Affidavit. Your client will have no just cause to have the Spousal Support Order vacated. As such, we will add our counsel fees to our equitable distribution claim before the Master."

Actually there is not anything more to this story.

My attorney setteled this with her attorney on August 17th. At the time she settled this I had a hearing scheduled to vacate the spousal support order on 9/15, a pre-trial hearing for equitable distribution on 10/3, the equitable distribution hearing on 10/6 and a petition to bifurcate the divorce with the hearing on 10/12.

After I notified my attorney that the offer was unacceptable on 8/20, she tried to retract the offer, that's when my ex's attorney stated in a letter the quote in the above post.

I couldnt believe my attorney put me in this position in the first place, after all, I hired her to represent me.