NCO says no

aka626

I have a account from AT&T that went to collections. NCO has picked up the account for $148.00. I called to pay them and asked for a deletion letter in return for the payment. I have called several different agents and they keep stating that they will not offer a deletion letter for payment. I have called at&t as well and they just refer me back to NCO.

Any ideas?

I had a similar situation with Bellsouth. I had moved and didn't receive the last bill and thought it was paid anyway. CBC was the CA. I sent a cashier's check for the full amount to Bellsouth with a letter listing account number, etc. Bellsouth cashed it. I then sent them a letter asking them to pull CBC back since the account was closed and paid. They responded favorably and I then DV'ed CBC (just for good measure) and they bowed out.

It's risky but unless the account is "sold"...it can work. If it's merely assigned...you have some room to try to pay the OC. I was banking that they wouldn't turn down the money (but didn't want to send a personal check in case they forwarded it to CBC).

Good luck!

I've had several accounts in the past with Illinois Bell, Ameritech, SBC telephone companies that went to a CA. I paid the telephone company either through a currency exchange that accepted payments, money order and one time I called the final accounts department and I had to make my payment to the CA, directly using the account number from my phone bill (the last 4 digits behind the phone number distinguishes your account from somebody else with the same number). Each time I did this, the collection accounts came off my CR automatically (I guess the phone company had them to delete - and I didn't know jack about credit repair).

I've had several accounts in the past with Illinois Bell, Ameritech, SBC telephone companies that went to a CA. I paid the telephone company either through a currency exchange that accepted payments, money order and one time I called the final accounts department and I had to make my payment to the CA, directly using the account number from my phone bill (the last 4 digits behind the phone number distinguishes your account from somebody else with the same number). Each time I did this, the collection accounts came off my CR automatically (I guess the phone company had them to delete - and I didn't know jack about credit repair).

That doesn't always work. I'm still fighting a CA over a bill I paid directly to the OC and the OC accepted. The CA is ignoring my disputes, and EQ is verifying everything.

Actually, it isn't. Many people feel the same way. That was how I wound up in credit repair- I paid a collection and it is still there as a paid collection to this day. It went to collections and then you paid it. Whether you paid it to a CA or the OC does not matter, you paid it.

That is why paying an account after it goes to collections, unless you have it in writing that they will not list (or will delete if they already have listed) is ALWAYS a bad idea.

That is why paying an account after it goes to collections, unless you have it in writing that they will not list (or will delete if they already have listed) is ALWAYS a bad idea.

I'm not sure if I'd say ALWAYS. Some CAs won't sign anything saying they'll delete it if you pay, but if you do end up paying you can always dispute it later and they'll be less inclined to verify it. That exact thing just happened to me.

I called the corp office of AT&T and they are willing to accept my payment of the money owed, where as before they reffered me back to NCO.

AT&T is not listed on my CR at all .but NCO is as a collection. AT&T states they will only send me a paid in full notice and nothing else. Can I pay them and then use that to get the CRA to delete the NCO collection?

What happens in some cases like this is the OC will accept payment, but, sends the check or MO to the collector. In short, works as a go-between. Thus, no guarantees of deletion.

Myself, we had a paid medical collection and when I disputed it as not mine with the CRA's, it was deleted. Another member and I talked about this and came to the conclusion that some CA's don't respond to disputes of a paid as it is not worth the time, while others do just because they can. I don't have the answers, but, if you do pay without a written promise, all you can do from there is dspute with the CRA and see what happens.

• 5 months later...

So, I end up paying AT&T the money, trying to skip over NCO. They collect my money and send me a paid in full receipt which i send to the CRA and NCO. As I mentioned AT&T was never on my credit report but NCO was.

NCO is now reporting the acct as paid collection but is unwilling to remove it. I have disputed it over and over..

Any ideas?

My husband has an unpaid electric bill being reported on Experian. The OC, Niagara Mohawk, has since became National Grid.

The debt was reported by 2 different CA's, NCO and Mercantile Adjustment Bureau. He disputed both as not his. They both verified the debt. NCO updated it to show closed by consumer. Mercantile still reports unpaid collection.

They show 2 different account numbers and 2 different account open dates, but the same amounts. How can 2 CA's report on one account at the same time? Is there anything that can be done about this?

I read about the DV process, but am unsure which CA to DV. Thanks for the help.

Just got an NCO tradeline deleted-- I just disputed with the CRAs, and I got notice today that it was deleted-- only one week after disputing. I'm confused as to why NCO is this way-- it seems too easy, there's got to be a catch. i expect them to resell this debt and for it to show up again. But as for now, it's gone.