question?

cjvlah1425

They are aloud to contact people if they do not have your ADDRESS. If they have your address and are contactiong third parties, then yes, they are violating the law. You need to send them a letter telling them to not contact third parties now that they have your address. At this point you can also D/V and C/D them.

I would also take it one step further and file a complaint against them with your states AGO. The more a company is turned in for violating the law, the better the chance that the laws will be inforced.

Collectors are permitted to contact third parties if they have no contact with you...having an address or a phone for you is not verification that they are good. If you had talked to them at your home phone number, then they may not call a third party.

However, they are not allowed to lie and say they are a relative.

If they have your address and you do not respond to them, either via mail or over the phone, then ya, they will most likely seek info from a third party source.

This is what they do, they take your address, 15320 NE 50th St and then look for addresses like 15321, 15319, NE 50th st, etc. and then call those folks.

It is REALLY a ploy to embarass you into contacting them.

If the person lied, I would bet that it was more like than not, not a collection call, but someone like a bails bondsman or car repo agent looking for info to see if you were home. They often use these tactics to establish a good time to come knocking.

If it was a collection company, then I would file with with the AGO, and send them a C&D and DV letter.

Thanks again for the responses. My neighbor described him as "Indian sounding"...plus...I have talked to this certain person over the phone...my home line. So...I don't know why he was trying to get other information. It is a CA...not repo person (don't have anything to repo)...or bail bondsman (never got anyone out of jail).

I will send those 2 letters at once.