what to do with D.C.S.

Readyjoes

I am new to this but I have been reading your posts and it made me A little nervous. My wife and I are seperated and In all likely hood getting a divorce anyway she ran up are Discover card witch is joint and a another card witch is just hers She said she was taking responsibility to pay it and she got a D.C.S. to help her,but since my name is primary cardholder they needed my permission for them to pay, they called me and I said yes but did not sign anything I took your advice and called Discover and they settled from 17.29 to 15.99 I thought that was terriable and called my wife she got mad at me, said she was just trying her best She said she did sign papers and was just going to leave it be for awhile see what happens Being the Primary cardholder on the Discover I do not want my credit screwed up, Any advice I would appreciate Thanks

What does your credit report look like now? How does Discover report?

One thing to consider is to shut the Discover Card down and make sure it is noted that you closed the account at your request. If your wife was just an authorized user, then it should not be a problem. Remember that even if she agrees in a separation agreement to pay the bill, if it is in your name, you are still liable.

#1 Rule: Divorce means jack sh1t to creditors.

OK lemme get this straight: Your STBX (Soon To Be eX) has TWO Discover cards? Hers and Yours? She can say now that she will take responsibility but that's an awful lot of chance to take if she decides to ditch the card - then YOU are on the hook.

Best advice is to somehow, someway, pay off the card either with another card and transfer the balance, or some sort of debt-con loan and close the joint account. If she has her own discover she can do whatever she wants. When separated you need to practice "defensive finances". Because she could easily decide the give you a good bending over if she wants to be spiteful. You might say "she won't do that" ... you willing to risk your credit rating for 7 years and find out you were wrong?

The one where you're primary cardholder - are you sure its joint or is it individual with authorized user (the stbx)? If stbx is an AU then call discover and yank her AU.