Client Services/Discover

Hello All:

I am new to the credit repair game and this website has given me loads of great information. I sent a DV letter to Client Services and I got a letter from Discover (The OC) asking for a copy of my driver's license or an official document containing my signature, my signature 3 times, and a detailed letter including any documentation to substantiate your dispute.

How do I handle this request? Client Services is not reporting to the CRA's but Discover is.

Any insight would be helpful.

If you DV'ed Client Services, then your dispute is with them -- not Discover. It is Client Services' legal responsibility to obtain verification of the debt from the original creditor. The FDCPA does not require the consumer to provide information.

Unless, of course, you sent some sort of dispute letter alleging ID theft to Discover...

Discover is a tough creditor and Client Services may be an Assignee to collect on their behalf. While technically they are required to validate the debt upon request you may need to comply with their request depending on how you worded your dispute. In other words if you are asserting ID theft and do not provide them some means of reconciling the problem they will likely then forward you some statements and give you 30 days to pay and then batch your account for a consolidated suit to recover what they claim is owed if they were to hear nothing further. If the debt isn't yours or is substantially erroneous, don't worry because the judge will sort it all out.