Any NYers -- or anyone-- dealing w/Nat'l Financial Systems?

Guest colette

Guest colette

Newbie here. Just started receiving calls from National Financial Systems on a Citicard acct. I tried contacting Citi to deal with them instead, but they informed me they couldn't since the debt (about $3K) had been charged off. What can I expect from Nat'l Financial as a NY resident and what's the best way to deal with them? At this point, I have not yet returned their calls. Should I send a DV letter in the meantime? Are they likely to sue? I've heard such horror stories and really am not looking forward to this. :(

If you are in NYC, the first thing to do is to contact the Department of Consumer Affairs and see if this company is licensed to collect. You can email them from the website for the information and they usually respond within a day or two. After that, follow the information above under "Debt Validation". If they are unlicensed...let them know you know it and that you will be filing a complaint against them and can sue if they continue with ANY of their collection activities.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/contact/contact.shtml

If you are not in NYC, still follow the procedure under the "Debt Validation" link and see what they are unable to turn up if anything. And note down any illegal collection behavior because New York State has it's own Fair Debt Collection Laws.

Whichever the case...do it all in writing. If you must talk to them on the phone, record the conversation (NY is a one-party state so you don't need them to consent to the recording).

good luck and welcome aboard!