Your checkbook just became obsolete...

gprncss

That is pretty much old news now...

And not suprisingly, none of my banks (five credit unions and one bank) have not implemented Check 21 yet.

It is really a huge effort to implement and there are plenty of excuses not to do it. The most efficient outfits are going to it right away because they played a big role in getting the law passed.

Ironically my little bank has gone to Check21, or I think so .. they sent me letters about how their statements are changed and I can't get my cancelled checks back because of "Check 21".

And you wonder "how little can a bank be?" .. check this out. This is the bank Grim does business. This ain't no branch - this is the big kahuna headquarters.

googleearthbank.jpg

The bank itself it circled in red. Those farmfields are not just around the village, they extend for miles.

Grim, where the hell do you live at??????????

Is that Bum [EXPLETIVE DELETED] Egypt that we are looking at.

How does a bank out in the boondocks even survive? I can see a credit union but not even rural banks are that isolated...

That is rural Illinois north of Peoria. I don't live anywhere near there now. I live about 250 miles from the bank. I do my business thru mail, over the phone, and via internet banking. I use my debit card at the grocery store .. buy a pack of gum, get $30 back on my debit card ... free ATM. I used to live about 20 miles from there when I was still with the now xDW.

Actually that rural bank is one of only three in that area that survived the Great Depression and Roosevelt's National Bank Holiday. There were about a dozen rural farm banks there back in the 1910's and 1920's and this is one of three that survived.

This bank's loan portfolio is about 70% based in agricultural loans and ag operating lines of credit. The rest is in consumer lines of credit such as auto loans. They don't offer credit cards like Visa or MC though .. as much as I try to convince the bank's president to do so. Anyone here who is fed up with their humongous national bank oughta look for a small rural community bank. They really do bend over backwards to help their customers.

They don't offer credit cards like Visa or MC though .. as much as I try to convince the bank's president to do so. Anyone here who is fed up with their humongous national bank oughta look for a small rural community bank. They really do bend over backwards to help their customers.

A small outfit like the one you described could really change things for consumers. My credit union has EXCELLENT terms for their credit cards and I have one from three different credit unions. Like, no annual fees, very low and reasonable interest rates, and their other fees like over-limit and late fees don't screw you over.

Overall, I like small financial institutions like that...