Paying a CA that's not on CR

Misha

Instead of "pay for delete"...Anyone try paying a CA that's not on CRs AND successfully kept them off? When we moved a few months ago we gave the wrong forwarding addy to one of the utilities to send the final bill to. Through all the chaos we didn't notice that we hadn't received a final bill. When we didn't pay it went to CA. The OC says our account has been "frozen" and they can't do anything for us. The CA sent letters to the same wrong addy and then started calling which is how we found out about this.

We'd like to pay but I'm trying to find a way to not pay for this stupid mistake for the next 7 years on our CRs. Any creative ideas?

My experience has been that if a CA has not reported a debt and you're willing to settle it, chances are that they will be willing to keep it off your reports at your request.

Still, get the agreement in writing. Nothing fancy, just something to the effect that you agree to pay the debt in exchange for the CA keeping the account off your credit reports forever.

I agree with dive. A signature on a written statement by all authorized parties involved is enough evidence to show that an agreement was reached.

If I were to use a restrictive endorsement, I'd use a subtle version, e.g. writing "Per agreement terms 12/28/05" on the memo line of the check. However, I wouldn't send any money UNTIL I had a signed agreement in hand.

Thanks for the help. They're sending a letter to the correct addy this time. I think it'll be the same one they've sent before which pretty much says "you owe us money". I still want to DV them just to have the paperwork in order and to finally see that "final bill". At that point do I write something up, sign it and then have them sign and return it to me? Or do they have to write it up?

Thanks

At that point do I write something up, sign it and then have them sign and return it to me? Or do they have to write it up?

You absolutely must write it and send it to them. Ask for an authorized person's printed name, signature, and date. DO NOT SEND MONEY UNTIL YOU GET A SIGNATURE. Relying on the CA in any way is just asking for trouble.