Just starting out

Guest lvnv

I have been reading this forum for the last couple of days. There is a wealth of information, but it is really overwhelming. I have a couple of questiongs.

I read that one of the first things to do is to have prior addresses removed. How and why should I do this?

I have three charge offs listed on my cr's. One of them is from 9/2004, and the other two are 4/05, and 5/05. Do I have to wait until a CA is on my file before I dispute?

I read that one of the first things to do is to have prior addresses removed. How and why should I do this?

How:

Re-read the board for steps on the credit repair process. Prior addresses can be disputed just like any credit entry.

Why:

One reason I can think of off the top of my head is when applying for credit in the future, the lender could consider you a higher risk even with a good FICO score. Hence, you may get a higher rate or denied outright.

Another reason I can think of is CA's and OC's have a dirty trick they play. They send a summons to a previous address on your credit report and claim you have been served. When you don't answer the lawsuit, the court enters a default judgement against you.

Signet Bank (now known as Capital One) did that to me a long time ago. They filed suit in Virginia, and sent the summons to an old address of mine they saw on my CR and got a default. The address was a typo, so there's no way I would have received the summons. A california law firm filed a class action suit, and I cashed my settlement check about 2 months ago.

I have three charge offs listed on my cr's. One of them is from 9/2004, and the other two are 4/05, and 5/05. Do I have to wait until a CA is on my file before I dispute?

Absolutely not! Before you do so, read the board for the process on how to dispute items.