Sign in to follow this  
LNY

Approved for Discover, $8000!!!

I figured I'd test out the effect of having my BK deleted from my TU report, and all the IIBs that went with it... and go for a Discover card since I knew they'd pull TU. They said yes!! $8000!!!

I knew my TU was 100% clean as of 12/20, so I applied on 12/21. My question is... what if Capital One goes and adds back that old IIB I whined about in another thread? Will other creditors see that added and start lowering my limits or raising my interest rates?

I know Discover can be a pain if you default and they're not accepted everywhere, but they ARE prime. So I'll take it. :D

So, what are the priramiders for getting a Discover card? They pull only from TU, you say? My wife has a score of about 630 TU with a BK discharged April 2000. What's the chances of being approved???

By the way, how did you remove bk? I want to do that.

Discover won't accept a BK at all. My BK was inexplicably deleted from my TU report when I disputed the date it should be removed (they had it as 10 years from date of discharge instead of date of filing). Obviously whoever they used to verify the info didn't respond in 30 days. But there was no reason to even verify it with anyone, as it was obvious where the error was. I thought they'd just correct it (like Experian did). I got very lucky. I was also able to dispute away all the bankruptcy accounts too, for various reasons. Except this one frigging Capital One account that keeps on coming back.

I know Discover pulls TU in NY. Go to whogavemecredit.com to see if anyone who applied in your state specified which CRA was pulled.

Yet once again, Juniper STILL refuses to raise my limit above $250. Unbelievable. :roll:

Nice one - skirting the "system" .. Didn't you burn Discover in your BK but the BK and the resulting IIB's were deleted?

Hmm according to MarvBear's database, Discover pulls EQ the most.

LNY - Congrats!

What are your scores?

And, can you provide an excerpt of what you wrote to dispute the bk discharge date? I would be interested to read the wording as I feel they way things are stated sometimes helps. But also, how it is interpereted plays a big role too.

Thanks and cgrats again!

I never had a Discover card. I wouldn't have even chanced it if I did.

I had applied for a Discover in 2003 when I was less educated, and they pulled TU. I looked around the various sites to see if they still pulled TU in NY and they seemed to. So I took a shot.

So do you think the reappearance of any of my deleted IIBs on my TU will trigger an interest rate increase or credit limit decrease from my present cards when they pull ARs?

I didn't even check my scores before I applied! I just knew the BK and all the associated accounts had been cleansed, so I rolled the dice.

As for the wording... I did it over the phone! I wasn't even thinking about a deletion or even a dispute. I figured the rep would just fix it during the call, as it was so obvious. I just explained to him that BKs are removed 10 years after filing, not discharge... and my report was showing that it would be removed 10 years after the DISCHARGE date. I just wanted that date fixed. He told me I'd have to dispute it, so I said OK. Then I get a letter saying it's been deleted. That letter was three weeks ago and it's still gone. I just hope it doesn't reappear... like it wasn't one of those temporary "delete during dispute" deletions.

Discover has always pulled EX for me...but I'm on the west coast.

I'd say congrats, but I hate the company. I have two of them because they provide high limits for DTI, but I never use em. Horrible company.

Xan, how often do they pull ARs? I'm really nervous about previously deleted IIBs reappearing on my TU in future (Capital One is pretty much guaranteed to do so), and opening up a can of worms.

That I couldn't tell you...I never pay attention to AR/PR pulls. Don't really care about em.

I normally don't either. But under the circumstances, I have to this time. I never would have gotten this card if my BK hadn't been cleansed... if any of those IIBs reappear, there could be trouble!

Oh, I know!! Luckily I never keep a high balance. The absolute highest I might ever have on a card is $200.

This new Discover account appeared on my TU for the first time today and dropped my score by 13 points. :x

NY,

To answer you question on if discover decreases your limit if they find that you're falling short in your financial responsibility and the answer is yes. They will decrease your credit limit. I've had Discover since 99. When my citi card charged off discover for some reason decrease my credit limit dramatically. They stated because I was not meeting my responsibility on my other cards that they had to decrease my limit.

I believe they review your credit every quearter or so to see if you are keeping up with your credit... They are stricted on who they give there cards too..

I still have discover, and to tell you the truth I like them. The cash back reward is unbeatable.... I was thinking of closing Discover but I decided not too because discover looks good in my wallet...

Hope this helps....

Thanks, Romeo!

My main concern is previously deleted bankruptcy accounts reappearing. My bankruptcy and all its accounts were miraculously deleted recently, but a couple have reappeared and I've had to dispute them off again.

Now that I have Discover--who never would have approved me with a bankruptcy or bankruptcy-associated accounts showing--I am concerned that they might do an account review at a time when one of these pesky accounts decides to rear its ugly head again. Especially as they're "included in bankruptcy" accounts, I don't want Discover sniffing around and finding out that I should indeed have a bankruptcy listed.

I'm just afraid that the sudden reappearance (or first appearance, to them) of a derogatory account might cause them to put me into Universal Default with everyone. My TU (do they do account reviews with the other CRAs too? I wonder) is clean right now, but might not be next week if, say, Capital One re-reports my old IIB, which they've done for 5 years.

What a tangled web we weave... :roll:

NY,

Yeah.. I know what you mean... But Discover will not default the interest (at least in my experience). They will only decrease your spending limit.

And no, they only review one credit Agency. If you want to know that, you have to find out what Agency do they pull from in NY.

And Discover is tricky. Trust me, if you want Disover to love you, you have to use your card frequently. Give up some interest money, pay some of it off and then use a big portion of it, give it 2 month and pay some of it off and they will increase your spending limit. If you prove credit responsibility, then they will increase your limit.

Hmm. I hardly use any of my cards. And of course I DO want Discover to love me... LOL But I doubt they'll love me if a seriously derogatory account suddenly appears on my credit report.

When they decreased your limit, did it affect your other cards?

NO. I only had that problem with Discover. I had two other cards and it had no affect on them at all, only Discover. But you don't have to worry nothing, as long as you keep discover in good payment history and pay off your debt with them then they will keep you and record and your good action to the CRA... So your fine!!

A week ago, I got approved for an American Express. It cought be by surprize.... I have a charge off in my report and still, I got approved in 30 seconds. so I'm in your shoes as well... I'm afraid if amex see's my report closely they will see the charge off and close it or default...