Debit card

Is it hard to get a debit card after bankrupcty. I think that might be a good way for us to go, if they are widely accepted and not hard to get when opening a new account in the state we are moving to. Also will it be hard to set up a checking account in a new state. Our current bank has never had any problems with us (13 years)

Checking accounts are done by databases that track your bounced checks, like Chex Systems... As long as you don't have unpaid bounced checks or too many of them in the recent past, then you ought to be all right in opening up a checking account.

Although I am not an expert on the bankruptcy part (only on bouncing checks) of it so others will have to chime in...

Is it hard to get a debit card after bankrupcty. I think that might be a good way for us to go, if they are widely accepted and not hard to get when opening a new account in the state we are moving to. Also will it be hard to set up a checking account in a new state. Our current bank has never had any problems with us (13 years)

Depends if the institution does a credit check when opening a deposit account. (No, I don't want to discuss whether institutions SHOULD do a credit check or not for opening a deposit account. I just know that some DO.)

If they do, then it may (most likely) decline you for a debit card. You might be able to get one later (after 90+ days) when they can use your ACCOUNT HISTORY over your initial credit history.

Like Admin said - Credit unions are most forgiving - AND they might not even pull a credit report at all! If they do, you might as well apply for some credit for the same inquiry.