no luck with CA - now what?

cdmosaic

Hi All,

I've learned alot on this site and have raised my score enough to buy a home over the summer - thanks so much for the great adivse. Now I'm trying to negociate with a CA with no luck. It is a medical bill for my son which I was making small monthly payments on to the hospital when they sent it to collections. It is not yet appearing on any CR so I offered (in writing) to pay the amount in 2 large payments over 30 days if they would agree to delete the account and not report it. They agreed to the payment plan, but will put nothing in writing about the deletion. I have the money and am thinking of paying the hospital directly and asking that they pull back the CA. Any thoughts? I've written the CA twice and they ignore me.

well, they now have validation.. your letter. Hopefully they aren't smart enough. I had a CA use my own letter as validation, and I really couldn't say much when it was signed by me.

But try to talk to the OC directly, tell them you will never pay any collection agency and will only pay if they don't report the collection before or after you pay it.

And if they did not say they would delete in writting, then they won't do it. One thing to keep in mind, if it is not on paper or recorded, it didn't happen!

Anyhoo, talk to the hospital an go from there, if not, DV the CA and hopefully they wont send your letters as part of the validation...

You've not "lost" anything with your letter...it doesn't take much to come to the conclusion that you acknowledge that you consider the debt to be your responsibility based on the payments you've been making.

I would agree...try to deal directly with the hospital and I'd do so IN PERSON if at all possible with the hospital administrator or someone in a position of real authority...if you approach it in the right way, they will likely give you a break (which is, after all, what you are asking for).

If the hospital agrees to retrieve the account from the CA, then it should be a straightforward matter to ge the CA's entry removed from your credit reports (parhaps someone else can comment on that) since they would no longer have any basis to report anything.

Good luck!