The bank has a hold on my account :(

helpmeplz

They put a hold on my bank account.

Hello I have recently been trying to repair my credit with tips I’ve found on the internet and forums like these. Most if not all of my debts are over 7 years old, I was successful in removing most of the items on it. But last month I received a notice that an item I had deleted was filed for again and now the bank has a hold on my account until the issue is resolved.

My questions are:

1) How do I get them to take the hold off my account?

2) How can I get them to take the judgement off of my credit?

3) I thought after a certain amount of years negative items had to be removed rom your credit?

4) Do I just pay these people this money on a debt I don’t think that I owe? And is that the only time the hold on my account will be removed?

By the way it’s a medical bill.

Please move/delete if it is the wrong forum thank you.

1) How do I get them to take the hold off my account?

Pay the judgment ? The BANK is only holding your account due to a court order from the judgment creditor. You 'll have to deal with the judgment creditor to get your bank account back - that means paying them or negotiating some form of payment.

2) How can I get them to take the judgement off of my credit?

As long as the judgment remains unpaid, it can stay on your reports - and that CAN mean MORE than 7 years.

3) I thought after a certain amount of years negative items had to be removed rom your credit?

Right, but judgments CAN remain for as long as it goes unpaid, so says the FCRA.

4) Do I just pay these people this money on a debt I don’t think that I owe?

Whether you think you owe it or not, you were sued and you lost, they got a judgment and have moved to get paid by draining your bank account. You can appeal the levy, but it won't be a quick process. If you failed to go to court to defend yourself or question the validity of this debt, then you allowed this to happen. The ONLY way to get your account unfrozen is to get in touch with the judgment creditor.

And is that the only time the hold on my account will be removed?

Most likely.

When were you sued ?

What state are you in ?

Except when dealing with government issues such as Federal Income Taxes and Student Loans, I don't believe a bank can place a hold on your account without a court order/judgment...if that's what you are dealing with, and it sounds like it is, then the only way to get the "hold" off your account is to deal specifically with the judgment that caused it.

You can, of course, open a brand new account somewher else but that won't get you any of the money in your current account released. Likewise, the only real answer is to deal with the root cause; the judgment.

All that is a totally different issue than what can and can't be reported on yoru bureau reports and for how long - if ther is a judgmetn against you and they are starting to freeze yoru accounts, then you have a bigger issue to address than what is/isn't on your bureau reports.

To answer some of your questions I'm not sure when or if I was sued and I also live in New York.

I just spoke to them and they say I was in the hospital on 1/9/97 I have the medical records to prove that I was never in the hospital. I was never served with any papers saying I was being sued to what I can recall. But your saying If they are alrdy freezing my account I just have to pay them?

If i were to satisfy the judgement this is something that would still reflect negatively on my credit, correct? Is there any way for me to get them to take all record of it off? Even though I was never in the hospital at that time the only thing I can think it would be was when my wife was in the hospital im not sure if it was that long ago but it might have been and if it is her shouldn't that be on her credit and not mine?

When I spoke to the person on the phone they said I would get a judgement satisfied on my report if i paid it off. Could I negotiate for more than that? Like removing the record completely?

Why would you be interested in paying a judgment that shouldn't have been levied against you? Did you know you were being sued? Were you served? If the suit was for a valid debt, you need to make arrangements to settle it. If it's not valid, and/or you weren't served, then you need to get an attorney and work on having the judgment vacated.

He may be out of luck. In NYS, you have 1 year to vacate a default judgment, and even then you have to be able to come up with more than just " I wasn't served" to open the default. So if it is longer than a year, then...

Spouses can be sued for their spouse's necessaries, such as medical care. I sued a guy once for the ob/gyn who delivered a baby to his estranged wife. Not separation agreement, not the daddy, but he had to pay!!

Why would you be interested in paying a judgment that shouldn't have been levied against you? Did you know you were being sued? Were you served? If the suit was for a valid debt, you need to make arrangements to settle it. If it's not valid, and/or you weren't served, then you need to get an attorney and work on having the judgment vacated.

Well I would pay just to get my account back to be honest. I dont know what else to do at this point, I spoke to them again and they say the payment plan that would be worked out would be 80% of whatever goes into that account.

I was served to what I can recall. All I want to know is how to make this go away as quickly as possible, I really cant afford for them to garnish 80% of my earnings for the next month.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to take the issue to court and have set a date alrdy. The law firm that has the hold on my account recently called me, im guessing this is a result of them recieving the summons. I wasnt home to recieve the call but my question is should I be in contact with them before my court appearance?