341 Tomorrow!

Brian D

I have my hearing tomorrow, and I'm extremely nervous. I know it's often very simple and quick, but you never know. Can/should I have my papers right with me to answer any questions? I have to review everything tonight -- I haven't really looked at or thought about this much since filing back in October, which seems like another lifetime ago.

Also, my rent went up $50 effective this month -- I don't know if it's worth mentioning when the trustee asks if my petition is accurate -- my lawyer's assistant (my lawyer is never available) says I should just ask him about it tomorrow before I go in.

Can/should I have my papers right with me to answer any questions?

Absolutely, take it with you.

Also, my rent went up $50 effective this month

If the Trustee asks if anything has changed since you filed, mention the rent increase, it goes to your expenses and disposable income. If the Trustee asks you to amend your schedule to reflect the change, just do it.

Try to relax. Answer directly and offer no additional details unless asked for specifics. Most of your answers should be yes or no. Volunteer NOTHING.

As long as you've filed your schedules truthfully the hearing will be a snap! It's been my observation that Trustees are kind and professional people. The rent increase can be mentioned if the Trustee asks about your living expenses on the schedules.

Well, the hearing's done. My case is still open because the Trustee asked me to submit paperwork proving that my mother's account that used to have my name on along with hers is now in her name alone. But that should be relatively easy to get. The Trustee seemed like a very kind, compassionate, reasonable guy, which was a nice surprise, so I was fortunate there.

So of course it'll be some time yet before all's done and officially discharged, but it seems that the worst is over. Thanks for all the info provided on these boards.