Paid collection still in my CR

Pibefree?

Hello to you all, this is my 1st post and boy I’m glad I found this forum…I was starting to think I was alone against the big three! Anyway I have a few issues but I’ll go little by little. My main thing now is I settle with a few of my creditors and paid them off and hope the CRA will remove the negative remarks…instead what they did is continue to report the items with a little change “paid, closed/collection account”. I requested the creditors for a letter showing the debt has been paid, forwarded to the CRA but they respond to me that the account is already closed and has 0 balance (?) but they still refuse to remove the entry. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Welcome to this board. And you are right about putting in questions "little by little" instead of your whole life story in the first post. It makes it a heck of a lot easier to get all of your questions answered.

First, the collectors and the CRAs are doing EXACTLY what they are supposed to do. You pay off a collector and it is going to remain on your credit report for certain amount of time. Just by paying it off doesn't mean it is going to be removed.

And even when a creditor or a collector tells you that they are going to remove it still doesn't mean jack [EXPLETIVE DELETED]. You got to get that in writing.

Your next step is to browse through the forums and read the posts and threads about how to get these negative items removed. Look through the Debt Validation forum because it is loaded with stuff on how people got collectors off of their credit report. It will take a bit of time to do the reading but it is worth it.

Become familiar with the FCRA and how to dispute with the CRAs and ask for their MOV as a way to attack.

The CAs did the right thing by marking teh collection paid. Unless you have something on them, you will not be able to get them to budge on the CR items. Do you have any of the letters they sent? You might be able to threaten an FDCPA action on the letters to leverage removal.

You could try to dispute with the CRAs as " not mine" or "paid before reported" Can't say it will work, but that is where you need to go.