Sprint Hires Idiots

retmar

Here's the short version. My granddaughter had a cell phone from Sprint. Due to her giving birth and not able to work, the bill went delinquent. Since this happened, we brought her down here due to domestic violence. Sprint used the records on her phone and found her here with us. Not a problem at this time. This is Sprint's Internal Collection Department. She told the agent that as soon as she receives her Tax refund, she will remit immediately. Common sense says OK, I will call back in a month to see when you will get that and we can resolve this. WRONG! Then the fun began. They call at least once a day wanting paid. One of the "ADUB's", with full knowledge she is pregnant, told her to go give Blood and pay the bill that way. This is when I found out what was going on and stepped in. At no time does someone in her condition give Blood.

Yesterday, I called Sprint and finally got a senior representative in their internal collections. I could only get this far as they try not to allow you to talk to a manager of any sort. She put it in the system to not call here again as this was not the GD's home, as she is only a guest. This morning, another one called. She hung up on me as soon as I told her about the no calling. Wrong thing to do to me. I already had the phone number (supposedly) for their internal, so called. As normal, you have to go through the same situation of different people to finally reach someone. After raising some 7734 and "sharing" with one of their agents, I finally got a manager of sorts. I clearly explained to her from 1 to 10 all that was going on. I called her employees "names" and shared what some had said, including the above comment. This lady wasn't too happy with that. Then I began to have some fun. She claimed to know the FDCPA, and was aware that some states have their own. I really enjoyed this.

She thought that they were only bound by the Federal. Surprise, she is now aware of California. I also inlcuded some (I won't let them know all of them, yet) of their violations to date and that, in this state, the penalties are greater than Federal penalties. The one I hit her with first was that no written communication was sent within 5 days of the first phone call, and, that their constant calling was now harassment. I left out the one I enjoy the best, which is that they must notify her in writting within 30 days before or after their reporting of negative information. California requires this over and above any other law. I also left out about calling my house as I honestly think it is in a gray area. I say this as since she is a "guest", this would constitute her living here. It is one that would have to be tested, but, trust me, I will include it if it comes to it and let the court decide. My goal is to display enough violations to cause them to cede and go away and accept the actual amount due and assure no negative information is reported. My GD will pay the debt, but, nothing more than what is actual, not allowed, such as fees, etc.

My question to all of you is if anyone has direct numbers to Corporate or other "persons" of the higher level. This way, as I told this lady, if one more call is placed, the games begin. What these people don't realize is that I will send the complaints to my State Senator. I do this as there will be results within about 6 weeks, as if I sent it to the AG, no one knows how long it will take for a response. This is over and above filing suit.

I'm glad that was the short version.

I think you are, as they say, taking the long way around.

It sounds as if your grandaughter does owe the bill, correct?

In that case, why don't you just tell them to go pound sand, not take any more of their stupid phone calls and, when she has the money, pay the stupid bill (and I'd pay the OC in this case) and get these idiots out of her life.

I made it clear to the manager that the debt is valid and will be paid upon receipt of her refund this year. My GD is not denying in any way. The whole of the problem is they still call with full knowledge as to when they will receive payment. Besides, they are violating the law with the continued calls as it is noted in their own system to not call here. It has been verified by two different people at Sprint that the notation is in the system. In short, what part of "do not call" do they not understand.

This is why I want to know if anyone has some direct numbers to the "Big Boys" at Sprint.

You need to read the laws in the state of California. You are a new member here and probably haven't read everything yet. Go to the repair section of this site and click on the sticky titled "The Law in California". Then click on the reference in the second post which will take you to the Summary of the FDCPA for the state of California, sponsored by the Department of Consumer Affairs. Scroll down to Article 1.1 and read. Remember, FDCPA 816 clearly states that state law takes precedence if it offers more protection to the consumer. If you want to read all of California's laws, go to California Civil Code 1788.1 and read through them. Another one and one of the best is CCC 1785.26(B). This state is one of the best for consumer protection.

I don't in any way disagree that there may be multiple violations here...the problam is, unless you are willing to go the distance with these people it doesn't really make much difference how many violations have been committed.

What I'm sayins is, I think you need to ask yourself what is your ultimate goal is and what are you willing to do to accomplish it?

Ignoring the idiots and not taking their phone calls may accomplish what you want with a whole lot less work.

Just my $0.02

The simplest way to explain this is I do not want the phone calls coming to my home, period. IMO, having knowledge of when they get paid, they should stop the daily calls.

As to what I intend to accomplish, it is up to them. If it takes filing on them, I have no problem. My GD can use all of the help she can get right now. Mind you, If what I think is true as to harassment, I can file for myself as well as for her. But, again, it is a gray area and has to be tested. I am relentless in getting things done. I am also a nasty SOB when my buttons are pushed. As many know, I got a CA "spanked" by their state, and their client was sanctioned from further participation in the Tricare/Medicare programs for a period of time. The CA also lost this client and two others due to my efforts.

UPDATE!!!

One of the "ADUB's" called again and hung up when I answered. That did it. I called Corporate at Sprint and demanded the biggest boss in the building (my normal demand). After waiting for a while, one responded. Title is something like Executive Assistant to Customer Service, or something like that. Either way, what a gentleman this was. Besides being very polite and professional, has knowledge of the laws, he spoke openly to me. When I explained what had transpired, he asked for the account info. Then came the surprise which really upset him. The debt had been sold to a JDB last month. He was fuming that no one in their internal collections told me this or made any effort to resolve this. He also gave me the figures, etc., but, did not have who it was. He is going to call me back with their info within a couple of days. He also said that Sprint "may" not ever conduct business with this JDB again. Reason for this is I politely informed him as to how this reflects on Sprint and how Sprint has the lowest "rating" for customer service. He was not happy as he says that Sprint's whole intent is for customer service as number 1, no matter what the problem. He couldn't thank me enough for sharing this as he is taking it upon himself to assure this is stopped in the whole of Sprint. He also took the information on what laws his legal department needs to read so they fully understand the laws in California. In short, I was satisfied, but, as we all know, we will have to wait and see how good he is or how honest he is in getting this done.

To add, according to him, they sell the debts as soon as they are CO'd. My GD's account went delinquent in July (Had to quit for childbirth), account was CO'd last month and sold last month. He wouldn't tell me why they sell in lieu of assigning or handling inhouse, but, did agree that it would be more profitable for them to do so.

Sounds like things are going to end up in your favor retmar. I'm in California myself, and am getting harrasing calls from Nationwide after they received a DV leter I sent them.

Do you think I should tell them to go ahead and sue, and see how things end up in court..ie, not having to pay the debt (I would've paid if the CA went about collecting in a proper manner) and getting the TL removed?

Anyways, I look forwad to seeing how your situation gets resolved.

UPDATE #2!

I found out who they are.

Talked to a Supervisor who claims to know the laws. All that was proven to me is they do not care as to how they collect the debt. In short, they laugh at the laws that govern them. They even asked me to pay it. Their claim is they will call until you pay as a promise to pay means nothing to them. They even told me to file with my AG, as if nothing will be done. We'll see what happens.

I won't identify them at this time in case someone there visits this site. I don't want to mess up what has to be done.