How to be removed from a joint account

bsgeorge

I have a joint credit account with AT&T Universal with my grandmother from a long time ago. I do not use the account and never really thought about it until I saw on a recent credit report that she almost has it maxed out to its credit limit of $2500.

Because the account is maxed, it is really hurting my scores and I am concerned that I would be responsible for all of the debt if something should happen to her.

I had thought I was just an authorized user, but cannot remember since it was from so long ago. It is listed in my CR tradelines as joint account.

Is there a way to be removed from a joint account?

The only way I know of would require your grandmother's cooperation. Hopefully someone with more education on this will chime in, because I am sure there is another way....

Here is what I had to do recently. Had a joint account with the ex. He has defaulted on the payments. I called the OC and asked to be removed, but they needed him to sign something. I said that wasn't possible, he refuses to cooperate. So in the end what they did was send me a paper to fill out and have notarised saying I would take full responsibility of the account.

My guess would be in your situation you simply have the OC send paperwork to you, her, or both of you to fill out saying she will be the responsible party from here on out, and you're off the account.

Just a guess, I'm still a newbie ;)

ATT Universal is a Citibank account, so I know a quite a bit about. If its a true Joint account - there is little that can be done. You can ask to be removed, which effectively closes the account - which I would assume would upset your grandmother a bit. :) This is because both cardholders are jointly responsible for the debt.

It the account was created after Citibank purchased the ATT portfolio, you are most likely an authorized user on the account, since Citi rarely creates new joint accounts anymore. If you are an authorized user, simply call Citibank and asked to be removed. They will update your credit report.

A good way to figure out if you are an authorized user or a joint cardholder, did your grandmother already have the card and add you to it? Or did you fill out the application with her, giving your personal data?

i know a bit more about chase accounts then citibank, but what you could try and do is have her sign a letter stating that she claims full responsibility for the account and all debts liable to it, and asking to have you removed from it. you may have to sign it as well. for more correct information though, you should definately contact your creditor directly. to my knowledge though, if you remain on the account and something should happen to her, you would be held as the liable party. again, contact your creditors.