Advise please! BK discharge - Discrepancy on Equifax report

dsantos31

Hello Again

Please forgive me, it's not my intent to post duplicate info, but I posted this query within another topic I created but thought it better to create a seperate topic so that I could get responses to this issue.

As stated, I am in the process of rebuilding. I’m not sure if I should continue to post my questions to this board or to the Credit Rebuild board, please let me know if I’m in the right place. Anyway, post discharge, 8/29/05, I’ve started reviewing my Equifax report (12/30/05) since it was the “best” of the three with a FICO 603. Here is a summary for my question:

According to Equifax, there are two Macy’s accts listed:

1) a/c# 422290936XXXX = IIB / Date opened: 11/97

2) a/c# 410042979XXXX = 120+ Days Past Due / Date opened: 11/97

The first acct is unknown to me & after checking my credit card (I still have all my credit cards) I realized this error. The second account is the number on my card & in my original papers to my attorney but is not listed in BK on my credit report.

This incident is similar to my Citibank Visa listing. Although my report does not list two accounts, it lists the wrong account number. I noticed this during my initial review of my papers and I bought this to the attention of my attorney during our meetings & we both thought this issue was rectified prior to discharge. The Citibank Visa acct listed on my credit report is 542418103732XXXX for a MasterCard for which I never had. My account is 41280037369XXXX, which was a Visa.

This only goes to show how important it is to check your reports on a regular basis. My quandary, my actual accounts have not been IIB how do I dispute these without having my original accounts put on (Citi Visa) or continue to age (Macys acct) on my credit reports? I would contact my attorney but post discharge of my case, it is going to cost $250/hr to handle any disputes thereafter.

Thanks for any information you can provide regarding this issue. Also, are there any good books on rebuilding?

Looks like a case where Macy's or a CA changed the account number at some point. In actuality, the account number in the BK is pretty irrelevent. You BK's on MACY'S .. so ALL accounts with Macy's should read "IIB".

You could try disputing the 2nd one as 'duplicated' or just dispute it as "IIB" and see what happens. In a no-asset Ch 7 case, ALL debts are considered discharged whether they were listed or not.