Experian is a bunch of JOKES!!!

abennett

I just called to dispute some items with experian and they told me it will take 30 to 45days. I asked y when it usually takes 21 to 30 days. She was like there was a new law that passed in Dec 04, which gives them up to 45days. I was like i thought that was with free reports only and she was like, "No". Whats up with that?

I think they can take another 15 days if they receive any new information during the 30 day period. That's how I read it. Thoughts?

by that definition, they can take an extra 15 days even if they get validated. that doesnt make much sense, they already have the info at that point. Maybe the rep got bad information.

§ 611. Procedure in case of disputed accuracy [15 U.S.C. § 1681i]

(a) Reinvestigations of disputed information.

(1) Reinvestigation required.

(A) In general. Subject to subsection (f), if the completeness or accuracy of any item of information contained in a consumer's file at a consumer reporting agency is disputed by the consumer and the consumer notifies the agency directly, or indirectly through a reseller of such dispute, the agency shall, free of charge, conduct a reasonable reinvestigation to determine whether the disputed information is inaccurate and record the current status of the disputed information, or delete the item from the file in accordance with paragraph (5), before the end of the 30-day period beginning on the date on which the agency receives the notice of the dispute from the consumer or reseller.

(B) Extension of period to reinvestigate. Except as provided in subparagraph ©, the 30-day period described in subparagraph (A) may be extended for not more than 15 additional days if the consumer reporting agency receives information from the consumer during that 30-day period that is relevant to the reinvestigation.

© Limitations on extension of period to reinvestigate. Subparagraph (B) shall not apply to any reinvestigation in which, during the 30-day period described in subparagraph (A), the information that is the subject of the reinvestigation is found to be inaccurate or incomplete or the consumer reporting agency determines that the information cannot be verified.

I was like i thought that was with free reports only and she was like, "No". Whats up with that?

You are correct, IF you dispute off the free report that you now get under FACTA, they may take 45 days. The thought behind it (if you want to call it that) is because more people will request a copy which will result in more dispute and hence, the CRA's will need longer to investigate due to the volume. This only applied to the free report though, that's why you shouldn't let them know which report your disputing off.

The additional 15 days under § 611 is ONLY if the CRA recieves information FROM YOU, that is RELEVANT to the investigation.

See but this is not a reinvestigation, this is a regular investigation. An item that i have never disputed, it just appeared on my report?

Same thing, it's called 'reinvestigation' but that's what we commonly refer to as disputes.