LEADING EDGE??

erinmc76

They are out of Chicago. They called me last night left a message around 8:30, I did not call them back. They left me another very stern/mean message today at 1:00 that I needed to call them back today. I have never heard from them before, never received any mail from them. Do I call them back? How should I handle this? The second message that they left me has really intimidated me. Any advice on how I should handle this is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Here's what I found on Google:

http://www.debtconnection.com/moreinfo.asp?396

Follow the DV process found in the link at the top of this web page. Include a statement in your letter that prohibits all contact except by mail. Since you probably don't have an account number (unless they have placed a collection acct on your credit report), they can look you up in their system by name.

Speaking of credit report, if there's a collection tradeline, dispute it with the CRAs after you confirm that the CA received your DV request.

Well the story changes a bit. I did call them back and found out that they were calling on an old cross country bank card. I told them that I did not get a letter from them saying that they owned the debt. They said that one was sent to my old address. I told them that was the wrong address and requested that another letter be sent to me and I gave them the proper address. They wanted me to commit to paying and I told them that I would not commit until I have proof that they do own the account now. He insisted that the letter that they would be sending me would not give me any additional info. I told them that I would not deal with them until I had the letter in my possession. He eventually said let me see what I can do for you and he put me on hold. Another man got on the phone and started going off on me about how they could not keep this out of court, and that it would be easier to deal with them than attorney. I again requested the letter, he said they would send it to me and for me to call them when I figure out what I am going to do, but they cannot guarantee that it would not go to court. Also, the balance is $648.35. The principal amount is $247 the interest is $401.35. If I do settle with them, what is a fair settlement and what should I have them put on my CR?

First and most important of all, DON'T TALK TO THEM ON THE PHONE! Make them prove that you owe the debt and that they are entitled to collect it.

I did call them back and found out that they were calling on an old cross country bank card.

How old is old? The Statute Of Limitations for credit cards in CA is 4 years, if you lived there when you got it, if it's been over 4 years since it went delinquint, they cannot collect. I believe there's also a law in California that prevents CAs or OCs from trying to collect a debt that's beyond SOL. Just found the link to the topic on California law: http://debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=492

Just DO NOT talk to them on the phone. They will lie and say anything to get paid. They will say they are going to file in court tomorrow if they think that will get you to pay the full amount, but with that amount, it's not very likely.

Just do what vrandon suggested, make sure you put in there not to contact you by telephone. If they keep calling, keep a lot or your caller ID or whatever, and if they rack up some violations, you can sue THEM and get money.

Hope this helps!

Anisah in Michigan

DON'T TALK TO THEM ON THE PHONE!

I couldn't agree more.

How old is old? The Statute Of Limitations for credit cards in CA is 4 years, if you lived there when you got it, if it's been over 4 years since it went delinquint, they cannot collect. I believe there's also a law in California that prevents CAs or OCs from trying to collect a debt that's beyond SOL. Just found the link to the topic on California law: http://debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=492

Very good points you have made. Unfortunately, the OP lives in Illinois, not California. Still, it may do erinmc76 some good to research if any similarities in Illinois state law exist about time-barred debt.

I again requested the letter, he said they would send it to me and for me to call them when I figure out what I am going to do, but they cannot guarantee that it would not go to court. Also, the balance is $648.35. The principal amount is $247 the interest is $401.35. If I do settle with them, what is a fair settlement and what should I have them put on my CR?

Whoa...slow down. The CA's buzzwords "ATTORNEY" and "COURT" probably scared you even more, but it's only a scare tactic. Yes, you can be sued. BUT, the process on this website is specifically designed so that consumers like us don't get screwed, and the process significantly reduces your chances of getting sued. You're already talking about settling when you don't even have any paperwork from this CA -- a big NO-NO.

Remember -- YOU have the ace in the hole, and that is the money in YOUR bank account that the CA is trying to collect. Do not pay a cent until they prove not only the debt is yours, but also if they are authorized to collect, exactly how much the OC says you owe by an itemized account history, and an itemized breakdown of how they computed the interest and fees. The only way to pull this information from the CA is to send a DV letter. Did I mention DV also requires the CA to stop all collection activity?

Include a statement in your letter to only communicate with you in writing. Also include a statement that you are aware of your rights under the FDCPA, and you will be CLOSELY monitoring any bulls**t on their part about saying the words "attorney" or "court" for possible federal violations (misrepresenting the legal status of a debt).

Also, remember to dispute any credit report entries as soon as you get your green card back saying the CA received your DV demand.