HOPE THIS WORKS...A NEW THREAD

suki

suki Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:38 pm Post subject: NCO PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT,INC are they the secret CRA's?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone hope all had a great holiday season and happy new year!

I want to first to be sure to thank everyone on the board for all their help with getting my (8-22-05 letter) collection agency to admit they were wrong!

:BigDance:

I have not checked my credit report to see if they have done this, even though I have a letter from them dated in early December of 2005 stating they have removed the negative TL. They never had it on the report, but they sent a CA letter to which I DV from following your instructions.

I am curious is this legal for them to take almost 4 months to respond to my DV letter? :shock:

Two other CA letters have just arrived yesterday, dated 12/23/05 from same company :(

Merchants' Credit Guide Co who claim that the NCO portfolio Management is their client.

The NCO has purchased the defaulted accounts with two chase accounts. The accounts were last active until December 1997(MA). I believe that is over the seven years SOL. I live in MA now.

NCO almost look like CRA yet they do three activities : CRA ,OC, and CA! WHO ARE THESE GUYS???

I started a DV letter to Merchants; however, I am wondering if I should also send a cc to the NCO too?

I also added that they (NCO) do not have my permission to send out my nonpublic personal financial information to any organization... don't know if I have a right to state that in the DV letter...do I?

I am so glad I can jump to this site for instant help! Thank u! Thank u!

Suki Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:34 pm Post subject: Re: NCO PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT,INC are they the secret CRA's?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

suki wrote:

Hi everyone hope all had a great holiday season and happy new year!

I want to first to be sure to thank everyone on the board for all their help with getting my (8-22-05 letter) collection agency to admit they were wrong!

:BigDance:

I have not checked my credit report to see if they have done this, even though I have a letter from them dated in early December of 2005 stating they have removed the negative TL. They never had it on the report, but they sent a CA letter to which I DV from following your instructions.

I am curious is this legal for them to take almost 4 months to respond to my DV letter? :shock:

Two other CA letters have just arrived yesterday, dated 12/23/05 from same company :(

Merchants' Credit Guide Co who claim that the NCO portfolio Management is their client.

The NCO has purchased the defaulted accounts with two chase accounts. The accounts were last active until December 1997(MA). I believe that is over the seven years SOL. I live in MA now.

NCO almost look like CRA yet they do three activities : CRA ,OC, and CA! WHO ARE THESE GUYS???

I started a DV letter to Merchants; however, I am wondering if I should also send a cc to the NCO too?

I also added that they(NCO) do not have my permission to send out my nonpublic personal financial information to any organization... don't know if I have a right to state that in the DV letter...do I?

I am so glad I can jump to this site for instant help! Thank u! Thank u!

Suki

Hi I have not heard a response yet for this posting...Can anyone comment on my questions please? Thanks!

Suki...patient, but persistent 8)

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:06 am Post subject:

suki You really ought to start your own thread. People sometimes dont' return to thread that they think have already been resolved.

I'm not sure I understand all your questions...but...

A CA can take awhile to respond to your DV as long as they mark any related TL's as "in dispute" while they're doing it. There are some posts that imply they only have 30 days, but you have to sue to enforce it.

And, an OC or CA has what's know as "permissable purpose" to pull your credit reports for collection purposes. They don't need your permission.

If what you're asking is should you "opt out"....in other words, tell the CRAs to not send out your info...then you do that with a separate letter to the CRAs. In fact, do a search on that here on the boards...I think there's a phone number you can call...

Hi Willingtocope!!!

I am thrilled I found you!!!!

I don't understand why the Janaury 1, 2006 postings under Collections have disappeared? I could not find your comment because under the collections for the date Jan 1, 2006 was not on the board. You say I need to do my own new thread... how do I do that ???

I thought if I wanted to post a reply to today's activity it would show the post and I would be able to get comments.... what happened?

I thought I did this correctly??? I also tried to send an email to the board to DocDon several times to get help and that did not work either. I did see Lady in Red's reply so I started to search on my history of postings, that's how I found your reply! What a maze!

Okay, now to add another comment to this thread: on closer inspection I realized that NCO removed the TL but...the letter also said that I had to contact the OC and tell them what NCO has done.... Should NCO report to the OC that they found the TL was in Error or do I send a copy of NCO's letter to the OC and that will take care of that?

Another question: With the new CA letters, 12/30/05, from Merchant Credit Guide Co under NCO with the old SOL (over 8 years since LDOA):

Do I send them a DV and send a copy of that letter to NCO too?

Do I also send an "intent to sue" in order for them to speed things up?

Who is NCO??

What is their role?

What are they suppose to do?

LAST QUESTION...

WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS FOR OPT OUT?

Hopefully, this gets in the right threading as I am still not sure how to do this right...sigh...

Thanks so much!

Suki

I just reviewed my posting for the January 1, 2006 under Collections- time 4:30 to 8:30 PM

I see I had 10 to 11 replies to my posting but I can't see them nor can I find my own posting or anyone elses for that day on January 1st, 2006... where is January 1st 2006?????

Please advise!

:cry:

Suki

Hi J_Snow,

Thanks for locating my replies well some of it anyway...I am confused to some of the replies... as the account went into SOL almost 9 years ago from the last activity date. They can not enforce any collection activities... it is dead as far as I am concerned.

As for the other CAs (NCO management services) my questions were: WHO THE HECK ARE THESE GUYS???? Can I please get an anwser to this as well as the questions I have stated in the last posting Pleeaase?

Thanks so much!

Suki

Suki: Sorry...this has become pretty confusing to follow. Too many questions under one roof...

First, there was a computer glitch on the discussion board around the first of the year that may have misplaced your original posts.

Second (as you might have already discovered) when you first enter a section of the board, there is a "New TOPIC" button on the top left. That's what you use to enter a new thread (or question).

Third, the SOL is a state by state thing. In Ohio, for example, it seems to be 10 years. So, if you have an account that you paid on in the last 10 years, its still collectible. And, all SOL means is that if you're sued, you have an absolute defense...it doesn't mean that they can't keep hassling you for the money.

Fourth, NCO is one of the nastier collection agencies (CA) and junk debt buyers (JDB). They collect on a lot of different accounts.

While they cannot *force* you to pay by getting a judgment-that doesnt mean that they must stop collection efforts. SOL doesn't apply to collection efforts. What you need to do is follow the DV process so that you can build up a case against the for violations. They generally always violate. Once you have a case against them you can persuade them to go away.

I have not read all your posts so I'm not up on everything you are asking about. Best practice is to formulate your questions and post them stand-alone to get the best response from everyone here!

:)

Suki: Sorry...this has become pretty confusing to follow. Too many questions under one roof...

First, there was a computer glitch on the discussion board around the first of the year that may have misplaced your original posts.

Second (as you might have already discovered) when you first enter a section of the board, there is a "New TOPIC" button on the top left. That's what you use to enter a new thread (or question).

Third, the SOL is a state by state thing. In Ohio, for example, it seems to be 10 years. So, if you have an account that you paid on in the last 10 years, its still collectible. And, all SOL means is that if you're sued, you have an absolute defense...it doesn't mean that they can't keep hassling you for the money.

Fourth, NCO is one of the nastier collection agencies (CA) and junk debt buyers (JDB). They collect on a lot of different accounts.

HI WILLINGTOCOPE,

THANKS FOR ANSWERING SOME OF MY QUESTIONS - SORRY IF MY QUESTIONS WERE CONFUSING, PROBABLY WHEN THE POST WAS SUPPOSE TO BE A QUESTION IT WAS INADVERTLY SET UP AS A REPLY TO ANOTHER POSTING SO IT GOT LOST.

I TRIED TO REQUOTE MYSELF TO BUMP UP TO THE TOP. IT STILL DID NOT WORK AS WELL AS TRYING TO EMAIL TO THE MODERATOR, OH WELL YOU ARE HERE THAT'S WHAT COUNTS :)

Here we go:

I want to address my first DV letter to an account that has a last activity date as of November 1997. This was also in MA. I have come back to MA in 2003 but have not heard from them until August 2005.

Because MA SOL is 6 years I know that it has been almost over 8 years ago.

To prove that I am right the NCO just replied to my DV letter dated 8/22/05. Their letter dated December 23, 2005 stated:

Dear ......

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the above-referenced account. Please be advised that the above-referenced account is closed in our office. Further inquiry regarding the underlying debt may be directed to xxxxxxx, xxxxxx, Bridgeton, MO xxxxx.

In addition, please be advised that we have contacted the credit bureaus with which we do business with with our request to delete our listing of the above-referenced account from your credit profile for the social security number we have listed in our records. Please be advised that NCO Financial Systems, Inc cannot affect a change to how any other company may have listed the above account on your credit profile. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

Very truly yours,

xxxx xxxxx

Supervisor, Incoming Data Management

OKAY, NOW THE QUESTIONS:

1. It looks like I need to copy this letter and send it to the OC to get them to stop collections activites for good?

2. How should a letter be addressed to the OC with the copy of this letter that I just got from NCO?

3. Can this reappear even if the OC has removed the CA activities?

4. How can I prevent another appearance of this account?

5. Since there has been a change in my credit report, am I entitled to request a free report to all three CRAs, in addition to the free reports I got in September 2005 when it became available?

Comment: I am slowly realizing that this could be a never-ending game with the CAs! How depressing!

MY SECOND SET OF QUESTIONS

The two old accounts: These accounts are very old in my college years (1978) and I had paid a lot of payments over the years, off and on when I could as I was unemployed (not my fault) and the problems of the minimium payments were not enough.

The date of last activity of payments were December 1997. The high collection fees, interest and part-time work was the drive that killed off the incentive and the ability to pay it off.

I was contacted by the Merchant Credit Guide Company on 12/30/05 by two letters dated 12/23/05 for those two old accounts I described above by the same OC (cc). Merchant stated that their client is NCO, and OC is the cc company. They are demanding a debt to be paid for these accounts.

The SOL in MA is 6 years old. The LDOA was 12/97. It is over 8 years old.

Here are the Questions:

1. Should I DV all three entitiies; 1) Merchant, 2) NCO, and 3) OC (cc) company?

2. To speed things up do I threatened to sue?

3. Can these CA activities actually continue even when the last activity of this debt has been over 8 years ? The OC should be well aware of the age of theses accounts. What is the purpose for the SOL if this has nothing to do with time frame and cease of debt activities, how can it help???

4. What are the pros and cons for OPTOUT? I heard good things and bad things, but I am still confused to what is really good or bad for my situation.

Hope this is a better set of questions for you Willingtocope... if not, I will try again to rephrase it.

Thanks so much !

Suki

Again, too many questions in one pile...but I'll give it a try since...

1. The fact that NCO says they'll clear the account from their records probably means that they've sold it to someone else. That's probably the JDB that you heard from.

2. Check you credit reports. If the OC's TL says "sold to another lender", the NCO bought it...and then resold it to someone else. If that's the case, the OC doesn't care anymore.

3. You also need to check the SOL laws for MA. If you left the state and then came back, the SOL may have been "suspended" while you were gone. Its possible that the SOL hasn't reallly expired.

4. DV Merchant Credit Guide Company. Its not clear if they're really just a CA or if they're a JDB. Doesn't matter. Make them try to validate.

5. Yes...optout. That prevents the CRAs from selling your info to other people.