Phony WaMu ATMs give crooks all your banking info

LNY

• 2 weeks later...

I Googled "skimmers" and saw pics that I'd never give a second thought to. They even install cameras in metal bars across the top of the ATM's to video tape your PIN - then (sitting around the corner on a laptop), come in about 1/2 hour later to grab the skimming device, make fake cards, and use them with your PIN.

I'd say tug on the card reader portion of the ATM to see if it falls off (they often only use double-sided tape to speed their escape), but given they're usually sitting around the corner and they're criminals, who knows what they'd do if they saw you blow their little scam...

Using an ATM that has 'constant' traffic around it may lessen your chance of getting caught up in this scheme. You'd have to think the criminal element wouldn't likely be standing around one of these ATM's installing a new keypad, card skimmer, or camera without being noticed...

I would always use a "bank" ATM and never one of the cheaper "stand alones". (Yes, I can see that the pictures were of a bank-ATM, but that does lower your likelyhood of theft.)

Bank employees are SUPPOSED to check for these kinds of things every morning before the branches open for the day.

MORE importantly, you need to check your banking balances frequently. AT LEAST every other day. The SOONER you spot something irregular, the sooner you can get your money back and file those claims.

• 1 month later...

In light of all these problems, when I need to use an atm (I have a Wells Fargo checking account) I've been using the ones inside the grocery stores. I'm assuming the combination of the particular location (i.e. high visibility) inside the grocery store plus the fact that it's a place that is always busy is going to keep the risk pretty low of someone trying to tamper with the atm.

And in response to the suggestion in this thread of getting a plain atm card, I can say from personal experience that Wells Fargo can give you one. Up until I asked for one, I had a "gold card" which allows for either a signature-based or pin-based transaction. The teller made a suggestion. After processing and submitting the request for the plain atm card, he said that both of my cards (the gold card and plain atm card) will be active. He suggested hanging on to the gold card, not canceling it, and saving it for some occasion where, e.g., I might be out of town and might need to have the gold card on hand for some emergency withdrawal. Another reason that I wanted a plain atm card is that according to my checking account's terms and conditions, my account will be assessed a $1.00 fee for each signature-based transaction.

• 4 weeks later...

In my hometown in the early 80s, thieves put a padlock and an out of order sign on two night drop boxes. They then chained their own drop boxes to the building with instructions to use them. Many business' lost their deposits. I dont know if the bank covered the losses since they were hard cash and checks.

I dont think I would spot most of the devices pictured. Recently we have had a rash of thefts a gas stations involving scanning devices and people with binoculars to aquire pins. Dont think it is just bank ATMs that are at risk.

Gettinout