Settling a debt

break the cycle

This is my first post, I've been lurking for awhile. I've used the various tips and strategies here to clean up some of the balck and gray marks on my credit report, great site, wish I'd found it years ago.

I have a question that I hadn't been able to find an answer for. I am settling my biggest remaining debt (about 60% of total amount of a credit car debt within SOL) with a CA and I'm looking for what kind of letter to send along with the money order. I agreed to terms over the phone and recorded the conversation on my end with their knowledge. I just want to make sure that once this payment goes through this issue is DONE, no bullshit from the OC or from zombie collectors.

This CA is probably the 3rd or 4th on this debt but they are in my local jurisdiction (law office) so I felt it was time to pay the piper before they went and got a summons.

If someone could post or link to a good sample letter to send telling them not to pull any funny business I'd appreciate it.

I agreed to terms over the phone and recorded the conversation on my end with their knowledge. I just want to make sure that once this payment goes through this issue is DONE, no bullshit from the OC or from zombie collectors.

Be sure to get it in writing first BEFORE you pay...

I have had a lot of deals that I simply threw in the trash once I read them. A few CA's even wrote something like:

We will request that [orignal crediter] remove this trade line.

Request my dimpled [EXPLETIVE DELETED]... That don't mean jack [EXPLETIVE DELETED]...

Wolf is right. I have two paid collections sitting on my CR's because I fell for the exact line he quoted. They put it in writing they would "request" the OC to mark the account paid as agreed. When I called them on it, the basically said they requested it and the OC said no. I won't fall for that sucker punch again. My only consolation is that I have a dismissed BK right at the top of the first page on my reports, so they can't make it much worse than I already have.

yes!! gt it in writing from them first!! i settled on my bonton account a year ago, and it is not reporting to my credit as settled..in fact it's still reporting delinquent. it was my mom who made the payment over the phone, the account was already charged off and with an outside collector. i have disputed it three times so far and no luck. so make sure to get it in writing from them!! also, if anyone has any suggestions for me on that...it would be most welcomed!