collecting, but not report to CRAs

I have some old, OLD debt -well over 7 years, that Asset Acceptance has just started trying to resurrect. I've gotten collection letters (they can't get ahold of me by phone) for two old accounts. I have sent DV letter requests and gotten the garbage "validation" back. I have check my credit reports, and neither of the accounts appears to have been reported (yet).

One of the letters I got back from AA stated something about reporting the account as "disputed" to the CRAs. I figure, since the SOL is up on these, they are trying to collect, but aren't reporting.

My question is, until such time as these account appear on my credit report, do I even need to continue with the dance of back and forth with them, other than to request that they cease and desist since they have failed to verify and just ignore them?

I was getting ready to send the "stop collecting or I'll sue" nasty gram, but seems to be a moot point if these are not on my credit reports.

Should I just continue to monitor my reports regularly?

Thanks

I have some old, OLD debt -well over 7 years

Stop right there. This debt BETTER NOT be on your credit reports because it's been over 7.5 years. Since you state the SOL is up, end the dance with a permanent C & D.

Unless you want to try to catch AA in some violations for a lawsuit...or just want to yank their chains a bit...

Yep...it's not on credit report, but they can still try to collect, which is why I was wondering if I have to keep on top of them - in case they try to report it illegally. But assuming, they don't and just keep sending me letters, do I still go through the process of verification, etc, or do I just send C&D....My only problem with sending a cease and desist along the lines of "this stuff is older than 7 years" is it's basically admitting it's mine, whereas with the verification, which I know they can't do because it's so old, seems to be the cleanest. Because, again, as I understand it, they can't report, but are within the law to try to collect unless they can't verify - which is the tack I am taking at the moment.

So to summarize. based on this info and the first post, since they have not verified, should I just send another letter saying, they have failed to verify and to cease and desist and to threaten lawsuit if they attempt to report to CRAs??

Thanks

Oh yeah...one more thing: I was concerned at one of the replies I got back from them saying they would report the one account as "disputed" because they better not report anything due to age of these accounts - we're talking 8 or 9 years, since date of last activity.

we're talking 8 or 9 years, since date of last activity.

You are right that they can try to collect BY LETTER OR CALLS. You are also right that they can even file a lawsuit against you. SOL is your affirmative defense in a lawsuit. It in NO WAY assumes liability on your part. The DOLA or more than 7.5 years also prevents them from legally reporting it to any CRA. Their only recourse is to bother you with calls and letters.

However, you can take their only recourse away. And that is with a permanent C & D. Don't even bother with DV (again, unless you want to yank their chains). If you don't feel comfy stating the reason for C & D, don't. Federal law doesn't require a consumer to state a reason.