In a panic and I need some advice

gtty

I got a letter today from an attorney stating that Hudson & Keyse LLC has filed a suit here in Harris County (Houston) Tx. for a bad debt from AMEX a few years back. This attorney is looking to get my business in my defense.

I got online and saw that a suit was filed a few days ago. This Debt collector Hudson & Keyse has filed hundred of these suits against others in the past year.

My question is what can they do to me here in Tx. Do I need a lawyer? Are these scare tactics? I do not have a lot of money at this time. Has anyone heard of these collectors? Please help me......

Are these scare tactics?

They FILED a LAWSUIT and you think its a scare tactic ?? :shock::shock:

It most certainly is NOT and you should not treat it as such, this is dead serious.

What can they do to you once they win a judgment ? Only hound you for the rest of your live, judgments in TX can renewed until hell freezes over ! They can sieze your bank account (repeatedly), they can sieze non-exempt property, drag you into court when they feel like it for a debtor's exam, and keep coming after you until you DO have assets they can sieze.

A few years back.. HOW MANY years ?? Statute of limitations for debts in TX is FOUR years. If you last paid AMEX more than 4 years ago you have a defense to get the lawsuit thrown out.

Do you need a lawyer ? Only if you don't think you can handle it on your own.

I think it has gone beyond that. At this point they are going to want to cover the legal fees and court filing costs even if they do settle out of court.

Now as Ladynred said, if your last payment made ont he AMEX account was more than 4 years ago, you will have an affirmative defence. You will have to go to court and file a motion for "summary judgment as a matter of law" with the reason being that the statute of limitation has expired. You should ask for the summary judgment to be with predjudice so they can't just keep refiling in different courts.