health insurance coverage & credit etc.

beeboah

My family has had no medical insurance for some time. Now that I am making more money (still very difficult with child support and student loans) I am thinking of getting some private healthcare insurance as I am not eligible for it in my present working environment.

The question I really want to ask when choosing, is if something goes really wrong and I cannot afford the co-insurance does my family still get medical care?

Is it just a matter of living with future bad credit and judgements etc?

Or could they just stop treating that family member and allow them to stay sick or die?

I know that this has nothing to do with credit repair, but IT COULD.

It is going to be a real financial hardship to get "medical" insurance which could deal with the above scenario.

Thanks

Hospitals are not allowed to stop stabilizing treatment if you are uninsured or cannot afford medical care.

That's a bigtime malpractice lawsuit.

Now elective procedures may require you to pay upfront before proceeding.

Depending upon your state you might be able to get state Medicaid for the children even if you don't have insurance on yourself.

I have 2 kids. One lives with his mother in one state, his mother apparently covers his insurance through medicaid. I have a 1 year old here. He is outside of the state's age provision for medicaid.

My income is too high for medicaid, yet there are bills that I cannot get around.

I am trying to spend maybe $350 a month to cover the family, but don't like what I see at that rate, no dental, chiropractor, maternity etc.

Thanks for your responses.

Your child may qualify for free or subsidized state health insurance anyway. I know here in Pennsylvania, they have a program called CHIP, which is specifically targeted to children in low to moderate income families that make too much for medicaid but do not or cannot afford to cover their children. A family of four can make up to $45,000 and still qualify in this state. As far as insurance for you under this program, you're still on your own. But at least your child may be covered. You should check to see if Virginia has a similar program.

If you decide to purchase a policy, and you can't afford the co-insurance (not the premium), your family will get treatment on the spot. But the bill will likely follow you. I am usually billed after the fact for my co-insurance portion.

Your child may qualify for free or subsidized state health insurance anyway. I know here in Pennsylvania, they have a program called CHIP, which is specifically targeted to children in low to moderate income families that make too much for medicaid but do not or cannot afford to cover their children. A family of four can make up to $45,000 and still qualify in this state. As far as insurance for you under this program, you're still on your own. But at least your child may be covered. You should check to see if Virginia has a similar program.

If you decide to purchase a policy, and you can't afford the co-insurance (not the premium), your family will get treatment on the spot. But the bill will likely follow you. I am usually billed after the fact for my co-insurance portion.

jq26. I work for CHIP and they are stricked about the income. I've had parents who make $1.00 more and they get rejected. And they do verify if the child lives with you or not.