Capital One charged "closed" account 4 months late

kissinger99

I need some advice and to rant a bit. Last year in April I closed my sorry Capital One account because I was finally able to get better cards. Around November I got a bill for nearly $200 for late fees, member fees, finance charges and an unknown charge. I immediately called and told them something was wrong. They had me fill out fraud papers even though no charges should have even been possible after the account had been closed for so long.

They tell me the account will be $0-ed out and closed again. Great.

Next month I get another bill. Same thing, nothing fixed.

Call again and told that there was a problem with the fraud adjustment, but they would take care of it.

Next month I get a statement that shows 3 past due fee credits, a finance charge credit, a member fee credit but still showing a balance for the fraudulent charge. And another Late Fee charge!!!! Even though they had just credited me three others.

I am at wits end and need some advice. I just talked with another rep who told me again that the account would be closed and $0-ed out and to call back in two weeks.

I have taken notes including rep #'s, time/day of all conversations but this seems not to matter to supervisors.

Any advice?

I wouldn't talk to them on the phone anymore. I would send them a letter CMRRR to fix the problem or else face a suit. Make sure you save all correspondence they have sent you so far in case it does have to go to court. Are they reporting any of this information on your credit? If so, I would order hard copies of my CR to further prove my case.

When the account was closed, you should have gotten a confirmation letter from them.

This is one of their favorite tricks. I closed one of mine a couple of months ago and it's still showing as open. Meanwhile, I can no longer access it online. I'm keeping a close watch on it

They did the exact same thing to me. Closed the account, and after it was closed and forgotten about, they started hitting me with fees and late charges. As they had by then also starting reporting on my CR as being 30, 60,90,etc days late I wrote a letter to them, explaining what happened, and telling them they better fix it. Never bothered calling, I have tried that in the past and it never worked. They hire absolute monkey's to answer the phone.

Got a letter a couple weeks later saying the error was corrected, and sure enough all 3 CR's now showed no lates and "closed by consumer".

Never bothered calling, I have tried that in the past and it never worked. They hire absolute monkey's to answer the phone.

You're not far off ... habi-dabi's answer the phone at Crap1. At least the last 3 times I ever called them I got someone who sounded like Patel at the 7-Eleven.

You're not far off ... habi-dabi's answer the phone at Crap1. At least the last 3 times I ever called them I got someone who sounded like Patel at the 7-Eleven.

FYI:

The management reviewed this latest round of racial slurs and decided it would be best if Grim and CIC went their separate ways.

That's really a shame. Seriously. Grim actually gave very sound credit advice and contributed a lot of knowledge... he just couldn't keep his personal biases out of it. I despaired of him every time he posted something like this. He and I couldn't be on more opposite ends of the spectrum where this sort of thing is concerned, but I'll actually miss him.