old tuition bill in Collections

kfbratsche01

Hi all--

I have an old tuition bill that is and has been in collections for quite some time now, and have been trying to come up with a strategy to resolve. This exists due to the fact that in 1997, I failed to sign my student loan disbursement check to be applied to my tuition. Now, I owe this bill through a CA, and according to my CR, TU shows that this item is marked for deletion sometime this year.

My question is, does this debt qualify as being defined as a student loan, therefore not being something that will just 'go away", or fall off my credit report? I'm curious if LynninMN has any thoughts...

Check out my other thread over in credit repair:

http://debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39964&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Any advice is appreciated!

So this is the actual uni bill? Not the student loan itself?

What became of the money from the student loan that didn't go to pay this tuition bill?

Yes, it's a bill from the Univ. that has now gone to collections. I'm assuming that the student loan got returned to the lender--but now that I think about it, am not 100% sure about it. But I'm sure that it was returned.

Two questions here.

1) Did you sign a promisory note for this loan?

If yes, then this is a student loan and is not likely to go away ever.

If you answered no to this question then proceed to #2.

2) Is this a public or private university? If it is public, you are probably still screwed by student loan law. If private, you can bring up the SOL defense if sued. Not easy but you can defeat a private school tuition bill.

• 3 months later...
So this is the actual uni bill? Not the student loan itself?

What became of the money from the student loan that didn't go to pay this tuition bill?

I am in this same situation right now. when I left the school I was uNaware of any debts. I've moved a few times but I always kept the SAME post office box and I'm a member of the Equifax thing so I've always reported the SAME post office box and when I switched it. I actually had to notify them because I'm always checking something on my credit. Okay. so 4 1/2 years later this school has collection agency to contact me about a debt I never knew I owed. They never sent me a bill during school and I am paying student loans. I think they have SWITCHED staff again and they are trying to collect on debts and they may have gotten me mixed with someone else with same last name or similar spelling. I've asked them to send me a itemized list. They did not. I asked the collection agency they will not. I sent the college which is a small school here in Los Angeles they ignored my letters and I finally sent them by certified and delivery confirmation to proove I did send them etc. They havent' sent the list. I would be an idiot to pay I already got one of my credit files DELETED because I demanded the paperwork and the collection agency was so smart they sent me all this paperwork from Original creditor and I had a copy of my old Equifax report from like 1999 and they were listed on there back then. I simply sent in all the copies including a copy of the Equifax deal and got them deleted they were past the SOL. They had been on there for like 9 years way past the 7 years mark. So all of the agencies all 4 removed them.

Now I just need this school to send me copies of all documents and I will be able to prove they are past SOL..but I guess I am going to have to go to my storage and find my old papers and try to prove I don't owe them money..I've looked and I can't find anything but homework papers. I've moved a few times and was living with my partner and we brook up I just hope we haven't gotten boxes mixed up.

anyway, any suggestions on how to get the College to debt validate if they do it, I've won. in Cali the SOl is 4 years. they just reported it on my credit file in 2005 sometime but I didn't know it was on there til about Xmas when I checked my credit.

I found out who their Accreditation agency is I'm going to write a letter to them in regards to unfair practices. I've gone to like 4 colleges/universities and every time they send you a bill each month even when you are in school. I never get anything from these idiots.

any suggestions how to fight this??

Starstruckdiva

There is no SOL on educational debts. There are bound by the reporting statutue but they can collect. They also with sue.

Any FA checks not accepted are always returned at the end of the school year, so they wont be sitting around the bursars office.