SOL has ran out... how can I get it off of my report?

rp0029

As some have stated your answer depends on what State you live in.

Here are a few.

Wisconsin: No collection once SoL is expired...not even a single phone call. No consumer action required. nno reporting on SoL debts by debt collectors.

California: No collection after SoL and no reporting either. No consumer action required.

Florida: No collection after SoL, but consumer action is required to notify collector that account is SoL otherwise it may be pursued as an "account stated."

If there is something in the Florida statute that says you can't collect post SOL, I haven't seen it. Pleas post. The closest I could find is this:

(9) Claim, attempt, or threaten to enforce a debt when such person knows that the debt is not legitimate or assert the existence of some other legal right when such person knows that the right does not exist;

Sorry, guys, I keep bringing this up because I think it impacts so much of the SOL advice we've been giving...read the IRS regs...

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099ac.pdf

...look closely at item 3 on the right hand side of page 3.

In effect, an SOL defense gets you a 1099c. I wonder how this relates to the laws in WI and CA? Is it automatic?