next step after Cease & Desist?

fizzala

I had an alarm bill that I cancelled over the phone, the co. never cancelled and after a year the bill is now up to over 500. from just over 100. at the time I cancelled. They turned it over to a CA who wanted to settle with me for 1/2. I told them I wouldn't pay one cent over what I owed at time of cancellation. After a few harrassing phone calls I sent them a C&D letter. I am wondering what to do next. Should I call the alarm company and try to reason and settle with them or request validation? Or wait for someone to contact me? Although I've sent C&D letters in the past its never really been clear to me what the next step would be. TIA!

Why deal with the CA after you C&D'd. They should dry up and blow away. They almost never sue, and if they do... just file an answer to their suit and see what they do.

The OC may have written it off already. If you do go back to the OC and offer to pay whatever, be certain it's in exchange for a pay for delete and they won't sell any balance and they'll never contact you in this or the next lifetime etc. Remember... once you pay... your LEVERAGE IS GONE.

When you C&D a CA, they have the option of closing account or pursuing further action, including the filing of a suit. But, they are supposed to notify you of their intent. Too many don't respond at all. Therefore, I would compose a letter to the OC that clearly explains the whole of the problem. Include the date, name, etc. of when you closed account, and that you had not intention of not paying any amounts due, but, for some reason a misunderstanding occurred, and they referred to a CA. Due to the harassment, etc. of their assignee, you were left with no other alternative than to serve them with a C&D. And, since, in some states, an OC can be held liable for the actions of their assignee, you have taken it upon yourself to assure this is resolved to protect both parties, you and the OC, and that, upon receipt of a statement on their letterhead clearly displaying any amount due, you will remit payment in full to them. At the same time, they must agree that the CA close account, delete any negative information reported on your CR, and that the matter is closed in it's entirety. Failure to do so will result in your taking further action to assure this is properly handled, incluidng, but, not limited to, the filing of a civil suit.