Sign in to follow this  
demoncasterouter

CA claiming to "represent" another CA

A letter sent to me from a CA (We'll call them Scumoftheearth), says this:

"We represent the above client, Bottomfeedersareus, who has purchesed your defaulted account........"

So I looked up Scumoftheearth and Bottomfeedersareus, and they are the same. So we have another CA trying to pull the same tricks that NCO and MEDCLR used to pull.

Is this type of stuff under "Deceptive Practices" in the FDCPA (3 years ago, I would've been able to quote section and number, but I'm so outta the loop....)? And if you would kindly quote, I would be much appreciative.......

Would this be LVNV and Resurgent -aka Sherman and Alegis ??

I don't think this would qualify as deceptive. For instance, Sherman/LVNV is a junk debt buyer, Alegis/Resurgent is a collection agency that is all part of the whole Sherman/LVNV company structure. Sherman/LVNV buys the debt, then hands it over to Alegis/Resurgent to collect and Alegis IS listed as a collection agency whereas LVNV is listed as JDB.

If I remember correctly, during the NCO/MEDCLR saga, the deception came when NCO tried to claim that the FDCPA didn't apply to MEDCLR b/c they were the "OC", or "Client". When they responded with this type of answer, the deception happened when NCO was attempting to hide MEDCLR in their follow-up letters as not being bound by the FDCPA, since they were NCO's "client". This is designed to throw off the consumer and make them believe that MEDCLR (or whoever else) is a creditor, and not a debt collector. That is deception. And this is the same thing that this company is attempting to do.