Is this Allowed?

gravelgirl66

I have recently recieved (3) medical bills in various amounts totalling roughly 1200.00

The are not past due yet, and the insurance has already been billed and this is 'my amount due.'--

Obviously I dont have the money to send the full amount, so If I pay say 20 a month on each of them, can this still be turned over to collections?

Even if I am paying?-- I went through a BK 7 last year, and have had impecable credit since, I dont want anything to ruin it.

what to do? I thought as long as you are paying something, they couldnt do anything..is that right?

thanks in advanc.e...

As a general rule, because of the delays involved between billing an insurance company and getting a payment, I don't pay any insured medical bill until at least the 3rd bill. It does depend upon your insurance company, but most have agreements with medical providers that state that the insurance coverage is what the total bill should be.

Some medical providers, in order to get around that, guess at what the insurance will pay, and send you a bill for the balance.

So if the bill came from the medical provider...wait...they won't report anything until they actually get a check from the insurance.

My credit was marred by going to the ER on a Sunday night after dropping something on my toe. I had an x-ray and sutures. My insurance paid $600 of a $1000 ER bill. The hospital billed me the remaining $400. I waited for the insurance to pay their part of the bill because I immediately started getting bills for $1000. When I checked my credit report, I had 3 CAs that had put collections on my credit report. Now after several DVs, disputes and a settlement of $2500 from one of them, all but one is gone! What a hassle!

I thought as long as you are paying something, they couldnt do anything..is that right?

Unfortunately, no, that is NOT true. They are under no obligation to accept less than what you owe and medical provider won't hold onto past due accounts for more than 90 days.