2 agencies reporting same debt with different amounts

erinmc76

After staring at 3 different credit reports for most of the weekend. I was able to sort through and figure a lot of things out about what is on there, and trust me I had a few good laughs.

Anyway, I have two CA's reporting the same debt, with the same account numbers. One CA is reporting the amount as $1322. The other is reporting the same debt for $2238...The CA reporting $1322 has not reported since 7/2004. The one reporting $2238 last reported 5/2005. I DV'd them months ago and have not received any response. They did have my old address and it was being forwarded, however the forward on that old address is up. When I dv'd them I did give them the new address. Still have heard nothing.

So my question is, can they seriously jack the price up that that much? That is almost $1000!!

Yes, they can jack the price up that much, but there are legal limits to how much interest and fees they can tack on. This is where DV comes in. DV will also help you determine which CA is authorized to collect the debt. Obviously both of them can't be; so that means one (or both) don't belong on your report.

Of course, all that talk about DV is moot if they don't respond. So, you DV again. After you receive your confirmation from the post office that they received your DV, dispute with the CRA's (AKA the 1-2 punch). One of the following will happen:

1) No response to DV, no response to CRA dispute. Item should fall off. You've won for right now! Now just deal with the OC before the assign another collector.

2) Responds to DV, no response to CRA dispute. Item should fall off, but you still have to deal with DV response.

3) No response to DV, verifies CRA dispute. Violation! Send your ITS letter.

Most definitely dispute with the CRA first. You will dispute the older TL as not yours. Reason is if the new one has it, the old CA is not in possession, therefore, cannot report what they do not have.

Then, when you receive the results, you will note on the new one that it states the debt is disputed. If there is no notation, then you will send a new DV to the CA, noting thier violation, etc., as well as copies of the proof of their receipt of your first DV. Let us know what is going on and we will gladly help you with the next step.