Experian and bad addresses

humdinger

a few years back I disputed some items with experian, in the following month a TON of erroneous addresses ended up on their report only.

Example;say my address is 123 Prison Road, Joliet Ill, one of the new adddress now says PRISON, JOLIET ILL. many address were added with several different apt #'s, and many just plain mispelled.

These entries are obviously a reprisal for disputing something. They only show if I get my report online. When I got my free annual report via US mail this past year it only showed my two most recent correct addresses.

So much for objective reporting. So far I've read it is pretty much pointless to try to get this corrected with Experian.

Same problem here. Even though there are ten incorrect versions of my old address, they won't delete them. They won't even change incorrect versions of my current address.

It's ridiculous. As if we don't know best when it comes to where we live... people who send us junk mail are considered more reliable sources.

But why won't they remove all the incorrect versions?

Like: 123 Main St., Apt 1A; 123 Main St.; 123 Main Rd. Apt. 2B; Main Rd. 2; 123 Main 1A; etc. etc.

They won't even remove the word "BSMT" from my current address. I DON'T LIVE IN THE BASEMENT! I wish, sometimes. At least then I wouldn't have to climb three flights of stairs several times a day.

But why won't they remove all the incorrect versions?

Like: 123 Main St., Apt 1A; 123 Main St.; 123 Main Rd. Apt. 2B; Main Rd. 2; 123 Main 1A; etc. etc.

They won't even remove the word "BSMT" from my current address. I DON'T LIVE IN THE BASEMENT! I wish, sometimes. At least then I wouldn't have to climb three flights of stairs several times a day.

LOL. I know when we disputed the incorrect address, they initially told us they would remove all. Then only some of the variations came off. We called back and they said they were tied to TL that were reporting them as current address so they could not remove. We even went through special handling and they would not remove. We had to jump through hoops to get the incorrect names removed.

What reason are you using to dispute the incorrect addresses?

THAT THEY'RE INCORRECT!!!! LOL

Why isn't that enough? Why do they take everyone's word but our own all the time? Having incorrect addresses on my report enables some idiot to cross reference and stick me with someone else's bad TLs... especially as at the address in question (an apt. building), there was someone else with my last name and all our stuff was always getting mixed up. I'd even get stuff for her delivered to me with her name but my apt. number, or my name and her apt. number. So YEAH, I'd like to see it changed! WHY CAN'T I??

LOL. I hear you loud and clear. EX is total idiots when it comes to this. My husband has a very common last name. Not to mention that he is named after his father and grandfather. He has gotten mixed up with his father in the past. He explained to EX that there is more than one person in the family with that name and the addresses were incorrect. They still refused to budge. They just kept saying that TL's are reporting the address and they remained.

You woud think that the consumer would know what is correct in their file. How can the CRA's take the word of a data funisher over the consumer when it comes to where a person has lived. DF's send info to the wrong address all the time. Especially since JDB most times only buy the minimal info on someone to pursue the debt. Then they find someone in the general area with a similar name and that info sticks like glue to the wrong person's report. The CRA's had me married to my brother once. I fought tooth and nails to get that removed. My brother had to threaten a JDB to stop calling regarding my debt. Its amazing how the wrong info can stick like glue to the wrong person. That's why there is so much darn identity theft going on. Because they are just taking someone else's word that the information provided is correct. JMHO

Here's what I did:

Following an old post about sweet-talking creditors or CRAs over the phone, I called Experian about erroneous addresses.

I said with a smile (this really works!), "I'm having a very hard time reading my credit report, and I was wondering if you could help me? I see all of these addresses, and some seem to be duplicates except for minor differences. I'd be so grateful if you could help me out!" I said this in as sweet a voice as possible, and I smiled as much as I could throughout the conversation. I also made sure that I didn't say anything that could be construed as complaining or arguing.

The first CSR I talked with stonewalled me, so I said thank you and hung up. I called right back and was transferred to a different rep. I repeated exactly what I said above, and she went over every address with me, deleting the ones I said were not correct. She whittled my previous addresses from over 30 to three.

I've used this method to get my bank to reverse charges, get free shipping on phone orders, and get my laptop fixed that was out of warranty.

Try it!! It works!!

Call back and play dumber and sweeter. It really helps to smile while you talk. In short, kiss a$$ even more. Keep calling back until you get someone willing to go over each one with you. Don't mention the last call; act as if this is your first time calling.

I should also add that with the call I made to get my laptop fixed, I had to call 7 or 8 times before I got someone willing to have it fixed outside of the warranty.

You should have heard how dumb and sweet I was. I was all "Mercy me, this is all so new to me! [then remembering that I have put in like 4 rounds of disputes in the last 3 months] Every time I look at my report I see something else that I should have noticed before, and then I feel so silly disputing again! I'm sure at some point you'll stop taking my calls! [suddenly curious as to how they really feel about us serial disputers...] Is there some kind of limit to how many times you'll accept disputes for the same report? etc. etc." Butter wouldn't melt, seriously. I made myself sick.

Oh, I was also lying. I was trying to get the old address associated with my BK and bad TLs deleted. I said it's an address that belonged to someone a block away (my two last addresses have sequential street numbers) with the same name, that always somehow ends up in my records.

I'm having a problem with them too. Thing is, I don't know why they're putting my stbx's last addy as mine. At first I thought because of a neg TL having to do with him....but those are all GONE now. My only true success so far in all this mess, lol! NONE of his TLs are on my CR now, so I can't figure out why on earth they've listed my current addy as his former addy when WE'RE NO LONGER TIED UP ON THOSE ACCOUNTS!!! I have never lived there, the TLs are gone, wtf?

When I send my next round of disputes to them, I will send a copy of my DL showing I have been at THIS address for over a YEAR and ask them to STOP IT. :evil:

OK. Normally I say to do things by mail with a CRA, but names and addresses are not one of them. This one is fine to dispute by phone because if there is a rpoblem with removing an item, you can get some immediate feedback on it.

I just called Experian myself this morning to deal with a crap-load of mis-spelled names and addresses. It was simple, and quick to get dupes that were simply typos in spelling removed. There was only one item I wanted removed that could not be and it was a short version of my name that I never write on applications. Turns out they told me who was using the informal short-name so I can now talk with that furnisher about it. No biggie there.