Repossesion after caretaker crashes car....

beeboah

During the year 2004, I took out a vehicle loan. I left to work overseas for a while and had someone watch my car for me.

I sent the person money so that they could keep up the payments for me.

Unfortunately, the person decided to go joy riding in my car and totaled the vehicle.

The person apparently went on to claim that he was me when my insurance company came around.

The bank repossesed the car and populated my credit report with the tradeline.

I never filed a police report, because I didn't think that this would help me in any way.

I am now reside in another state. This tradeline is haunting me. Would filing a police report at this point help get this tradeline removed, or would it be best left alone?

Thanks

I never filed a police report, because I didn't think that this would help me in any way.

Is this guy still your friend? Did he ever pay you anything? What did he say to you after your credit was trashed?

Why didn't you want to file a police report? Did you ever consider taking him to small claims court because that would have been a perfect trial for you?

As for the bad trade line, ANYTHING negative can be removed from your credit report. It just takes effort and patience.

Was overseas at the time, couldn't do it (or didn't know how to do it from overseas).

Not my friend, haven't talked to him since.

Could I still file a police report? Or would you suggest some other method?

Validation is not working for me.

Thanks

This non-friend trashed your car and trashed your credit...

I would file a lawsuit in small claims court to get whatever money you can out of it. What he did was WRONG!!!

But depending on the amount, if it is big enough, I wouldn't file it in small claims, I would just get a lawyer.

As for DV, it does work... It just takes plenty of time and patience... When was the last time you DV'd? And are you sending a DV request EVERY 30 days???

Thanks for the information. I DV every 30 days. I have probably DV'd it about 15 times.

Should I not DV every 30 days?

I was just looking for an angle to get this removed quickly as opposed to going to court.

I am in the middle of quite a few pro se lawsuits, and don't want to take on anything else.

I saw the FTC fraud form that is submitted to each CRA, but don't think it applies because the debt was initially mine.

Thanks for all of your ideas so far.

What kind of responses have you gotten from your 15 DV requests? And do you have 15 green cards?

As for a lawsuit, it nothing to do with your credit. It is for suing this non-friend for trashing your car and trashing your credit. You would have a pretty good case here...

If somebody trashed my car and trashed my credit, I would be hopping mad... And I woudl be in court...

Always come back verified...I never dispute CMRR unless I don't have a choice. Internet disputes is what I have traditionally been doing.

CMRR usually doesn't work for me. I usually have to go back and tell the OC or CRA that I sent something CMRR and advise that I will be suing.

You're going to have a tough time even getting the police out to take a report on something that happened so long ago, with somebody you haven't spoken to and probably do not know the whereabouts - especially since it's a bloodless crime.

So, no. I'd suggest not wasting your time with the police on this one at this stage of the game...

What happened with the insurance claim? Did the insurance company just let the fraud slip by? Did they give money and it was spent? Was your friend signing your name?

Rav's got you going in the right direction - I'm just saying don't expect an enthusiastic response from the police...

wondering why the bank repo'd a totaled car (they're not in the salvage business) and if the insurance company even paid out...

So you never even talked to anyone at your insurance company about this? I know the insurace company I work for would never just let this fraud (on your friends part) just "slip by". so maybe they never paid the car off to the lienholder and thats why the bank repoed it.

So you never even talked to anyone at your insurance company about this? I know the insurace company I work for would never just let this fraud (on your friends part) just "slip by". so maybe they never paid the car off to the lienholder and thats why the bank repoed it.

Missed your post, nope didn't since I was overseas.