Is a federal credit union bound by the FCRA or....

Firstly, the FCRA applies to anyone who furnishes information to a credit reporting agency. It doesn't matter if it is a bank, an emploer, or a credit union. It applies to all.

Child support and student loans are more difficult because they involve government or court awards. But that does not make even those immune to dispute if something is legitimately not being reported correctly. My cousin sued the State of Utah, department of children services for reporting incorrect info in relation to child support payments and won. So even government agencies are not immune.

Wow, then to further this question, could I complain to the FTC on a State Child Support Agency, the Department of Education etc?

Or at least, threaten to complain? Is the FTC the only party I could threaten to complain to on a Government Agency? Could I complain to the Attorney General (s)?

Just want some leverage.

I don't want to look stupid.

Thanks again!

Well complaints are just that. Most government regulatory bodies and lawyers have no interest in prosecuting their own, so I think a complaint to the AG or the FTC would be ineffective. A threat to sue the head of a government agency for their complacency in the violation would certainly get someone's attention.

I'm going to assume your eyebrows went up with that last sentance. Yes you read that right. When you sue a government agency, you name the head of that agency and the agency itself as defendants. If the head of the State Child Support Agency is on the receiving end of a suit for false reporting you can be your boody he is gonna take a personal interest in what his underlings are doing.

Thanks for that information. That is an eye-popper.

How do I substantiate who the head of that agency is? I am sure I could just go their web page and find out.

So I must sue a federal agency in federal court? Is that the only way?

This will be done pro se BTW. I am just trying to gather the basics before I study my behind off.

If a federal agency violates a State law you can by all means sue at the State level...no need to go to Federal.

I am going to assume you have an FCRA claim to make. The FCRA allows you to sue in any district court, so you can start it at the State level. But do not be suprised if it gets removed to Federal.

On the occasions I have had to file suit myself, I always start off filing in State court because it is less expensive. If my opponent wants to take it Federal, let them spend the money...

• 6 months later...

Methuss,

Sorry to dig up an old one, but could you please explain the difference between District and Federal Court and Federal District Court?

I have been doing research and have heard that the filing fee in "Federal District Court" is less than $200.

So why not file in "Federal District Court" to start with?

Hope you are still around.

Thanks again