AFNI Won't Investigate

fixmycreditplease

I sent DV letter to AFNI CA, whom received it 1/13/06. I received a letter from them dated 2/10/06 that they can not investigate until I provide:

*specific information I dispute

*an explanation of the basis of my dispute

*all supporting documentation of my claim

*a valid contact number to reach me

I was very specific in the DV and stated the account does not belong to me and demanded they provide me proof the account is mine.

What do I do? Isn't the burden of proof on them?

Sidenote: my wife had spoken to the phone; they told her she should just pay it because it would be easier. What kind of BS is that?

Was your dispute timely?

yes was definitely within the first 30 days of receiving their notice. And, they say it was for a Sprint bill unpaid over 12 years ago!! They can still collect on this??

They can most likely ask for payment voluntarily.

My opinion on this is...

It violates 1692g because it creates the impression that the dispute is not effective or misleads the consumer that there are additional requirements to the dispute.

I would not consider it a continued collections violation (unless they asked for money, or provided one of those detachable stubs to send back with payment).

I would sit and wait for the continued collections activity, since it will more than likely come eventually.

Are they reporting at all? If so, you can drop the hammer on them good.

Was your dispute timely?

yes was definitely within the first 30 days of receiving their notice. And, they say it was for a Sprint bill unpaid over 12 years ago!! They can still collect on this??

They are not reporting...can they?

Was your dispute timely?

They are not reporting...can they?

No they cannot (legally), but it wouldn't be the first time someone re-aged a debt and placed a TL.