Traveler

How Can I Remove Hard Inquiries From Creditors

While my Tu and Ex reports only have 2-3 hard inquiries, my Equifax has 6.

I never asked for two of these inquiries:

One is from a collection Agency, N.A.F.S. in Buffalo. The inquiry is from 6/05. Later last year I agreed on a settlement with NAFS and Discover Card. The account shows "paid as agreed" but the inquiry is still there.

The other is from... Equifax Canada. What are they totally separate companies? I did have a $300 speeding ticket in Quebec a few years ago. Never paid it. And it's not on my driving record in the US. That inquiry is from 3/05.

Any advice on getting these inquiries removed?

CA's have permissible purpose to hard-pull your CRs in the course of collecting a debt. IOW, they don't need your permission to legally pull if the collection is legit.

Do a search on the forums on "bumpage." Reading up on this and following the steps will help get those inquiries knocked off.

My success story. I had up to 15 inquiries on my reports(each report). Some where mine and others I had no idea where they came from. I disputed them but, nothing happened. I mailed a revised ltr that I found on this site to each Company that pulled my credit asking for a copy of my authorization or to delete it. About 3 companies deleted them. I never heard from the other companies. I used true credit to bump for TU and EQ. After months some started to come off of TU. THEN, I put a fraud alert on my CR and called the fraud department. Within 30days EVERY inquiry I disputed but one was deleted. I didn't dispute inquiries that i authorizated and receive a CC but, if they denied me I disputed it. AND nope, I don't feel bad about it. My results:

1. started with 13 now 2

2. started with 15 now 2

3. started with 14 now 0

The CRA computer can only hold so many inquiries. If you use truecredit to pull your CR daily then the older inquiries will start to come off. I don't believe it works for exp but I noticed it did work for tu and eq. For me if took about 3 months of daily pulls to see them start to come off. After 6 months NONE came off of my experian report.

Be careful with bumpage. Sometimes instead of dropping the inquiries, the CRA catches on to what you are doing and creates a "split file." In other words they create a new database record and tie it to your original record. This can be a problem if things migrate to the split-file. You can end up with things being removed from the original but not the split. It can make things harder for you. So proceed with caution.

That's pretty awsome Obxdude! Care to post the letter you sent those companies? I was thinking of using the same method to get some inquiries removed but I'm stumped as to what to write.

This is what I wrote. I believe I got the ltr from this site but, I research so many sites I'm not sure. Forgive me if this ltr is already on this site somewhere.

Re: Unauthorized Credit Inquiry

Dear Company,

I recently received a copy of my Experian credit report.

The credit report showed a credit inquiry by your company that I do not recall

authorizing. I understand that you shouldn't be allowed to put an inquiry on my file unless I have authorized it. Please have this inquiry removed from my credit files because it is making it very difficult for me to acquire credit.

I have sent this letter certified mail because I need your prompt

response to this issue. Please be so kind as to forward me

documentation that you have had the unauthorized inquiry removed.

If you find that I am remiss, and you did have my authorization to

inquire into my credit report, then please send me proof of this.

Thanking you in advance,

I added what ever CRA it showed up on. Some of them were just one CRA and some where all three. It wasn't until a placed a fraud alert on my CR's and called all three CRA to dispute the inquiries that all of them came off.

You had up to 15 hard inquiries on each report?! In a two-year period? YIKES! :shock:

I have been a little worried about the split file possibility with TC B*, so I've cut down on pulls tremendously. Also, FYI, there is no B* at all with EX.

Yeah, I was mortgage shopping. I also had a bunch of inquiries that I had no idea who they were or where they came from.

I would hate to have a split-report. Has anyone had a split report? Is it possible to get it consolidated to one again? I have become addicted to credit repair :wink: I love seeing results. I saw this am that my equifax report went up 62 points. Yeahhhhh! My equifax results:

3 judgments Now 0

7 neg TL/CO now 0

2 good accts now 7

13 inquiries now 2

In my defense of such bad credit I just got out of the service (and was/am disabled) and going thur a divorce. I got the beagle and the bills :shock: But, my beagle made everything better :D

Congrats on getting the beagle!! I got the cat. Definitely the only good thing that came out of my marriage. :)

You don't have to defend your "bad credit" here. Most of us have had horrendous credit for all sorts of reasons (shopping is not always the culprit of bad credit...) but the important thing is you have taken steps to repair it. And getting rid of all those hards is AWESOME!!

I've heard mixed reports on consolidation of split files. Some say all it took was one phone call; others say they've never achieved it. The whole thing scares me. I have enough problems. That's all I need!! :shock:

i am a real estate investor. i buy 3-5 properties monthly and aquire hella inquiries!!!! I think i have right now close to 50 inquiries per report.... i have always wanted an amex... my scores are realatively good..... but with all the inquiries i am hesitant to try.... but if i understand correctly i could put a 90 fraud alert on my file and dispute the multipe mortgage inquiries?

It worked for me. I had multiple inquiries. Some were from mortgage shopping and some I have no idea where they came from. From what I understand all mortgage inquiries in a 30 day period are suppose to count as one. But, sometimes (maybe most time) they are not coded correctly and count as multiple inquires. With not much lucky writing to the companies that did the inquiries I put a fraud alert on my report and disputed the inquries with the fraud department. Every one I disputed came off but one. If people pull my credit without my permission and no permissive purpose or they don't code mortgage inquires correctly I saw nothing wrong with disputing them thur the fraud department.

It worked for me. I had multiple inquiries. Some where from mortgage shopping and some I have no idea where they came from. From what I understand all mortgage inquiries in a 30 day period are suppose to count as one. But, sometimes (maybe most time) they are not coded correctly and count as multiple inquires. With not much lucky writing to the companies that did the inquiries I put a fraud alert on my report and disputed the inquries with the fraud department. Every one I disputed came off but one. If people pull my credit without my permission and no permissive purpose or they don't code mortgage inquires correctly I saw nothing wrong with disputing them thur the fraud department.

Obxdude, do you have the number to the fraud department for the CRAs? Trans Union will not budge, even after I put a fraud alert on my report! :evil:

TU fraud department is 800-680-7289. I would call them and tell them you want them investigated and deleted. When they asked if I thought it was fraud I told them I couldn't be sure but, I know I didn't authorize it (and the company wouldn't reply to my ltr).

TU fraud department is 800-680-7289. I would call them and tell them you want them investigated and deleted. When they asked if I thought it was fraud I told them I couldn't be sure but, I know I didn't authorize it (and the company wouldn't reply to my ltr).

Thanks a million! Did you have a problem with the fraud dept.?

I had zero problems with the fraud department. I did have problems with deleting old addresses attached to bad TL's. BUT, when I disputed the address along with the TL both were deleted.

I had zero problems with the fraud department. I did have problems with deleting old addresses attached to bad TL's. BUT, when I disputed the address along with the TL both were deleted.

Just got finished talking with the fraud dept. at TU. The person gave me a hard time, saying again, that they don't dispute inquiries, so what they did was to send out notification to the companies. I will send letters to the CAs as well.

Just received my XPN report....no change with the inquiries. This is even after I sent a dispute as well as talked to the fraud dept. They are still there. I even have the 90-day alert on it! What should I do next? I want these off of my report!

Has it been 30 days since you disputed the inquries? They will not yet delete them but, they should investigate them. They are allow 30 days to investigate them. BUT, in my case two of the CRA deleted the inquiries in days and the 3rd cra didn't delete them until the 30 days was up.

After reading this thread three nights ago on a Thursday night, here is what I had;

TU 5 inq

EX 6 inq

EQ 17 inq

I followed the advice in this thread and I called Equifax to dispute 14 of the 17 inquiries appearing in my EQ file on Friday morning. 3 of the inquiries are for accounts I do have and I did not dispute them.

This morning, Saturday, when I did my daily TC pull, my EQ score shot up from 612 to 618 in one day and I found that 6 of my EQ disputes had already come off. This action took less than 24 hours and I have to believe that more will come off as the verify my disputed inquiries throughout the next couple of weeks.

Additionally, I sent out the sample letter listed above to my TU and EX creditors. Additionally, I have been a TC member for about 3 weeks so I will continue to update my CR daily for awhile yet.........*b*.

This thread is a solid one. Great job to the users who provided such useful info on inquiry removal in this thread :notworthy:

The CRA computer can only hold so many inquiries. If you use truecredit to pull your CR daily then the older inquiries will start to come off. I don't believe it works for exp but I noticed it did work for tu and eq. For me if took about 3 months of daily pulls to see them start to come off. After 6 months NONE came off of my experian report.

Does this mean when I check my truecredit acct it shows up as a hard inquiry? I thought if you pull your own report it didn't show. Still new at this.

budercup, When you pull your credit report it IS a soft pull that only you see. But, the system can only hold so many inquiries no matter if they are hard or soft pulls. Since you are adding soft pulls daily the hard inquries start to drop off.