Fraud Alert on Equifax?

fixmycreditplease

It means that either you claimed identity theft fraud when disputing a TL or EQ took it upon themselves to put it on your file b/c you have a frivilous dispute (claiming "not mine" 2, 3, or more times in a row is usually the trigger) (EX is notorious for doing this). All it means is that until 6/15/2006, whenever you apply for new credit, you won't be able to get an instant/automatic decision until your identity is verified w/ the creditor. It has been a hassle for some pple, but in my experience, it just required extra time in verifying who I am.

If you need additional info or perhaps others' experiences w/ fraud alerts placed on their files, do a search on CIC for "fraud alerts", "identity theft alerts", etc. I'm sure you'll get a list of discussions that'll either calm your nerves or set your brain on fire.

If you want it removed, you can just write them and tell them to remove it. You will need to include a photo copy of your ID and Soc Security card. Some don't like to provide that, but it simplifies it. I did it with them. If you rather not have them have a copy of your Picture ID you can send a copy of a recent utility bill (2) showing your current address. This is just for verification purposes. Others have had success calling and getting the fraud alert removed. Mileage may very. Having the alert on there while disputing some information on your report can be helpful. Addresses is one. So you may want to leave it be while you are doing some disputes. However, if you wish to apply and get instant credit in the very near future, go ahead and get it removed. It takes a few weeks after sending it off CMRRR for it to be removed, if that.

You said having the alert can be helpful when I'm disputing..how is that? I am really working hard to get some paid collections removed and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you want it removed, you can just write them and tell them to remove it. You will need to include a photo copy of your ID and Soc Security card. Some don't like to provide that, but it simplifies it. I did it with them. If you rather not have them have a copy of your Picture ID you can send a copy of a recent utility bill (2) showing your current address. This is just for verification purposes. Others have had success calling and getting the fraud alert removed. Mileage may very. Having the alert on there while disputing some information on your report can be helpful. Addresses is one. So you may want to leave it be while you are doing some disputes. However, if you wish to apply and get instant credit in the very near future, go ahead and get it removed. It takes a few weeks after sending it off CMRRR for it to be removed, if that.

I don't want to mislead you. I am somewhat new here at posting, but have been reading here since 2003 or about. I just recently got a SN and started posting. I am learning as I go, but am pretty familar with most things. One thing I gathered from another post about a fraud alerts, it helps in certain aspects of disputing information.

As several people here have stated, inquiries for example, technically have to be reported. Some CRAs just wont even investigate them. Others argue that they must investigate any inaccuracies. It depends on how you look at what is an inaccuracy. When someone inquires on your credit, it must be noted. THere is no inaccuracy, they gave someone your report. Well was it permissable is another story. Some have had success getting inquiries suppressed as only viewable by YOU on their reports. This is a whole other discussion. Some links on the topic:

http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41419&highlight=fraud+alert+inquiry

http://www.debt-consolidation-credit-repair-service.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33104&highlight=fraud+alert+inquiry

Now how can a fraud alert help? Well I have read that the CRA is more willing to initiate an investigation into your inquiries if there is a fraud alert on your credit. I have asked them to investigate some of mine. Now the ones I am requesting were not permitted by me and I don't recall giving permission to any names that were listed. I did not ask for a fraud alert to be put onto my report either. Though I am using the fact that its on there to my advantage. I called and requested to speak with the fraud department. I asked about my inquiries and asked if they would investigate. He asked if I authorized them, and some general questions. I answered them honestly. I didn't claim fraud at all. I have 8 inquiries under investigation.

From what I read, there is a good chance these will get deleted. I hope they do, as I didn't authorize them. I also requested personall addresses to be investigate. Some that they were originally reluctant to remove. But now they are investigating.

Will the fraud alert being present help me? Maybe. Maybe not. If it does great! If not, no harm was done. I didn't act in a deceptive manner and just answered all of their questions honestly. And some of his questions triggered me to recall what a few were for, and dropped the dispute on two.

If by chance a lot of the personal addresses get deleted, that could help with future disputes if needed. Though mine is already pretty clean. It could still be better. I am only worried about 2 remaining collections that should be resolved and 1 state tax lien that is almost fully resolved.

But I hope this information helps you. As suggested in one of the links, don't claim fraud if no fraud occurred. Asking for the fraud department and requesting an investigation is not doing so. Most investigations go through the fraud department when a fraud alert is already on your credit report. But read some more and see what the best course of action is in your particular circumstance. Whats good for one is not neccesarily good for the whole!